Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Drove in snow last night and really miss the headlight washers

Old 12-30-2012, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove in snow last night and really miss the headlight washers

Why would Audi not include a set of headlight washers on the 2012 Prestige A6 (I have LED headlights). The owners manual says they should be there but I am sure they are not. Driving last night on a salted and sanded I-95 the amount of light from my LED headlights was very limited. When stopped I can see the fluid splashing on the lens for the night-vision camera but nothing sprays on the headlights after following all the instructions in the manual. Obviously they are not there as mentioned in an earlier thread but my question is will the dealer be able to install them if requested. Bad safety move on part of Audi. I don't appreciate having to get out of the car on a busy highway to clean my headlights on a $60,000 plus car. Every BMW I had had them and the Audi manual says they should be there. What's the story on this Audi??? Can the dealer install them???
This is a basic feature on every luxury car. What good are the LED headlights if the light is blocked by snow and road dirt?? In the northeast with the sand used on the roads these to me are a must. I feel like I am back in the 1970's again having to stop the car every few miles to clean the headlights on the highway.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its been known for a long time that washers were not included with LED headlights on US cars. I would differ that washers are "basic features" on every luxury car, but whatever. I would seriously doubt they can be retrofitted.

At least on mine, there is a considerable amount of hot air that flows from the hood over the lights and I would expect that to help keep them clear. But, to date, I have not been in really nasty weather to prove that theory.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Must be a U.S.-specific feature delete. Even the lowly 2.0 A6 here in Canada comes with washers as standard. Interesting omission for a luxury car.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

The engine heat you mention does not help remove the sludge and salt/sand built-up on lens cover. Not a solution. Seems they have a washer on Canadian cars, why not US cars?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had much of an issue driving in the snowy weather. Not sure if having put the XPEL ultimate film on the lights makes a difference.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

In a similar thread earlier this year, it was suggested that the headlight washers were eliminated in US spec cars because US drivers complained about the fluid getting on the fenders. It's probably a cost cutting measure by Audi.

Someone was looking into what parts were needed to tie into the camera lens cleaning plumbing.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always had the headlight washers, including on the new A8. I'm always careful about activating them since the "car paint colored" flap over the jet that pops up tends to fly away. Then you're driving around with a hole in your front bumper.

I wish there were an option to turn off the auto-headlight washer since sometimes I just want the windshield washer.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Kufatec sells an original retrofit kit if you are really keen:
http://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/Audi/A...fit-Audi-A6-4G
Old 12-31-2012, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wilfred2k5
I wish there were an option to turn off the auto-headlight washer since sometimes I just want the windshield washer.
I just pulled the fuse on my '08 A6; not sure if the new ones have the same setup.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Will have to check the retro kit out.
Do a lot of highway
Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drove in snow last night and really miss the headlight washers