A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

96 2.8 V6 Thermostat Replacement without removing timing belt?

Old 02-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 2.8 V6 Thermostat Replacement without removing timing belt?

V6 without having to remove the timing belt?

I am sure it is still a long drawn out process for a simple service item although I have read on numerous forums that yes someone has done it (2.5 hrs.) but I cannot find any write-ups or any pics. showing the procedure. I want to make sure before I go blindly and end up needing specialized tools and additional replacement parts regarding the timing belt removal and replacement (that I do not need to do but will if I am going to take the stuff off but don't want to add $$ when I do not need to) that it can be done and does save a butt load of time. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

what are the symptoms?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

oops...scrolled a little further down and read your other post.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just to get anyone who cares up to speed
-Purchased nice condition A4 with what was possibly a head gasket problem
-Car was to cheap to pass up
-New rad and thermostat within the last two weeks by previous owner
-Car would run for a few minutes then puke coolant out the overflow
-New expansion tank cap
-By passed oil cooler

Well it now looks like the thermostat was never replaced (previous owner a former mechanic had someone else do the rad and supposedly the t-stat....fleeced by his own kind how poetic) as the previous owner had stated. I checked hoses and the bottom hose stays ice cold while the top slowly warms and pukes coolant out the overflow. Leakdown test showed no signs of any issues when engine was warm and coolant pressure test indicated the same other than what I now imagine is a jammed closed thermostat. The previous owner stated the car first showed these signs on a day when we had a nice cold snap here in the Great White North so it is sounding more plausable all the time. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction for changing the thermostat without having to remove the timing belt and going through the emotional trauma of re-setting everything???????
Old 02-13-2010, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

I recently posted the procedure that I used to change the T-Stat on my '96, which was a shortcut method not using special tools or moving the front end. Once you have the serpentine belt tensioner out (the only part the was somewhat frustrating because it was difficult to maneuver out), and the belt covers, the thermostat housing is right there with two screws holding it on.

I paint-marked everything and took the belt off, but if doing this again, I would turn the crankshaft until there was the most slack on the bottom portion of the belt, in front of the T-stat cover. The belt can (should) turn about 90 degrees, enough I have read to expose the thermostat for removal. You might be able to scoot the belt forward on the passenger-side sprocket to get a little more clearance.

Be sure to dump coolant using the little red valve behind the plastic grill, under the driver's side headlight.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

on my 30v, you have to remove the accessory belt and the timing belt to remove the cover to the thermostat. There may be a 'trick' to getting it off without that step, but I usually perform the entire waterpump/belt/tensioner/pulley service when I have that stuff apart. Given that you have little faith in the previous work done, that may be advisable.

if not, remember that the bleeder vavle on the t-stat must be at the top.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

and look here for procedures posted by other folks...

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html
Old 02-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To those that have replied....thank you for your time and advice. Glad I posted on the right forum where there are people that are prepared to give good advice on real problem not just discussing the merits of bolt on go fast/make noise parts and 20" rims. I am getting verklempt....talk amongst yourselves......the topic is...."The Toyota Prius"....it is not green and by no means the first car to ever have a recall......discuss! Hey! speaking of recalls does anyone remeber the "Sudden Acceleration Problem" the 5000 had? What a crock of doo doo that was.
Anyway back to reality....I can tell that the items that were stated as replaced over the past year were actually done and the timing belt looks in good shape however I may aire on the side of caution as it will be my wife that gets this car (why I do this to myself I will never know....should just get her a Camry and be done with it as she never appreciates the cars I have wrenched into existence for her but now I have to factor in kids and safety becomes a big part of the equation). Again thanks for the links and advice I hope I can return the favor.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can be done w/o TB removal...

What has to come off FIRST:

-Front bumper
-Lock carrier(radiator support assembly)
-Serpentine tensioner
-Serpentine belt
-Passenger side timing cover
-Center timing cover
-Thermostat housing(replace IF plastic - it will fail!..see pic below)

To get clearance from the timing belt, either GENTLY twist it 90 degrees, or better yet - turn crankshaft w/ 24mm 12-point socket and breaker bar counter-clockwise, while a friend GENTLY pulls TB forward, about 1/2 inch, at the passenger-side cam sprocket and tensioner. BE CAREFUL not to allow belt to come off...or, it's GAME OVER(full TB service mandatory!).

Here is what a 2.7T Audi allroad plastic thermostat housing looks like after 160k in HOT Southern CA(nearly COOKED motor!):

Old 12-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can be done w/o TB removal...

What has to come off FIRST:

-Front bumper
-Lock carrier(radiator support assembly)
-Intercooler(if Turbo) plumbing
-Serpentine tensioner
-Serpentine belt
-Passenger side timing cover
-Center timing cover
-Thermostat housing(replace IF plastic - it will fail!..see pic below)

To get clearance from the timing belt, either GENTLY twist it 90 degrees, or better yet - turn crankshaft w/ 24mm 12-point socket and breaker bar counter-clockwise, while a friend GENTLY pulls TB forward, about 1/2 inch, at the passenger-side cam sprocket and tensioner. BE CAREFUL not to allow belt to come off...or, it's GAME OVER(full TB service mandatory!).

Here is what a 2.7T Audi allroad plastic thermostat housing looks like after 160k in HOT Southern CA(nearly COOKED motor!):

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 2.8 V6 Thermostat Replacement without removing timing belt?