A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Noise when turning Steering wheel - getting louder

Old 04-07-2009, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise when turning Steering wheel - getting louder

What could it be? I'm certain it's not the ball joints, but could a tie rod make that type of sound? A rubbing/creeking sound.
Help!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by yiannaaudia4
What could it be? I'm certain it's not the ball joints, but could a tie rod make that type of sound? A rubbing/creeking sound.
Help!
If you hear a grinding noise while the steering wheel is turned and held at an angle and the car is moving in a curve the noise may be from the front wheel bearings lift the car up and test each side by rotating the wheel and feeling for vibration and resistance in movement. If the noise only comes while turning the steering wheel and regardless of weather the car is in motion or not then check you power steering pump tie rod ends. Also make sure to check your serpentine belt to make sure its aligned properly and the right tension because it runs the PS pump.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 PM

I guess the sound is more like a whining...I'm pretty sure it's not the bearing.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess the sound is more like a whining...I'm pretty sure it's not the bearing.
Check your Power Steering pump and PS fluid level.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Former Vendor

Did you put the right PS fluid in? It is most likely a bad PS pump.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:05 PM

Just get your car checked as soon as possible. There are chances of any obstacle in your smooth power drive.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Help!
get the power steering checked. mine started making a whiney noise a while ago and it turned out i had a slow PS leak.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default power steering grinding and noise

Originally Posted by moloveshisaudi1254
If you hear a grinding noise while the steering wheel is turned and held at an angle and the car is moving in a curve the noise may be from the front wheel bearings lift the car up and test each side by rotating the wheel and feeling for vibration and resistance in movement. If the noise only comes while turning the steering wheel and regardless of weather the car is in motion or not then check you power steering pump tie rod ends. Also make sure to check your serpentine belt to make sure its aligned properly and the right tension because it runs the PS pump.
i have same problem, it was running fine and started making all these loud grinding noises when turning wheel but if its standing still the pump makes this loud type of clicking noise. and i drove it a lil and it turns on and off like on a turn it help me steer then stop and id have to put lot of effort to turn and if i turn wheel really slowly the power steering is there when faster no PS i thot was the pump and got a used one changed it and no noise but no power steering put in fliuds, now it was running fine with stock ps pulley since i changed it thats when started making noise, but i highly doubt its the pulley,,
Old 08-05-2009, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

and like i said when changed the pump no noise when turning or standing still, so its prob not my front wheel bearings.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does it make the noise if the steering wheel is turned while the car is stationary? or only while moving? If it is only while moving it could be the beginning of a bad CV axle. Check to see if your boots are torn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noise when turning Steering wheel - getting louder