A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Starting valve job/ead replacement after timing belt failure (2.8 12V)

Old 07-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting valve job/ead replacement after timing belt failure (2.8 12V)

So. I think I've got everything fixed (cooling problems, A/C, CVs, etc, etc) except for a little vibration (which I think is a bent rim.) I'm driving home on a long trip and the engine dies, at 70mph, on the expressway. I roll up a ramp, and try to start the car...nothing but grinding gear noises. I put it in gear, let off the clutch and the starter pulls me up the ramp. The starter is fine, the engine is locked up.

Push it into a gas station, and hook up the computer: 'crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor incorrect correlation.' Sigh. Crack open the timing belt housing...and wow...what a mess. The timing belt tensioner pulley (that I just replaced) has blown apart and shredded the new belt. Toast.

Tow it home, pull the front end and the crankshaft moves smoothly, but one of the camshafts get's stuck 2/3 of the way around. So, I'm assuming bent valves.

So, I guess it's time to do a valve job (and possibly replace the heads, depending on what I find.) I haven't pulled a head since my old '72 Mercedes, so I've done it, but I'm rusty. I'll be following the Bentley Manual to the letter, and having the heads re-surfaced, etc, etc.

Anybody been through this one? Anyone have any tips/tricks/guidance on a smooth job?

Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ceeanton
So. I think I've got everything fixed (cooling problems, A/C, CVs, etc, etc) except for a little vibration (which I think is a bent rim.) I'm driving home on a long trip and the engine dies, at 70mph, on the expressway. I roll up a ramp, and try to start the car...nothing but grinding gear noises. I put it in gear, let off the clutch and the starter pulls me up the ramp. The starter is fine, the engine is locked up.

Push it into a gas station, and hook up the computer: 'crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor incorrect correlation.' Sigh. Crack open the timing belt housing...and wow...what a mess. The timing belt tensioner pulley (that I just replaced) has blown apart and shredded the new belt. Toast.

Tow it home, pull the front end and the crankshaft moves smoothly, but one of the camshafts get's stuck 2/3 of the way around. So, I'm assuming bent valves.

So, I guess it's time to do a valve job (and possibly replace the heads, depending on what I find.) I haven't pulled a head since my old '72 Mercedes, so I've done it, but I'm rusty. I'll be following the Bentley Manual to the letter, and having the heads re-surfaced, etc, etc.

Anybody been through this one? Anyone have any tips/tricks/guidance on a smooth job?

Thanks again!

Yikes, I came close to your problem but lucky caught it before the belt exploded.

Bentley is going to be your buddy now.
I don't think there is much in the tech articles that goes this deep.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just had my Audi mechanic friend do this job.BIG JOB - his words not mine. I can send you a parts list that I bought if you are interested.There will be lots of them. some only OEM. My 96 A4 AFC engine code has 550,000km on it so it was an age issue, head gasket pissing oil. My email is jimrobertson@acncanada.net. I am away from home but back on the weekend. Would do it then.
Lots of other work to consider at the same time depending on mileage.
Don't make me do the parts list work unless you need it.