A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

ABS module failure - could accident or body shop cause this...

Old 04-13-2005, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS module failure - could accident or body shop cause this...

I sideswiped a telephone pole with my 2000 A4. The damage was primarily limited to the rear passenger door area. Prior to the accident, no problems with ABS, no ABS lights on. Body shop called, after having the car for 5 weeks and said the ABS light is on. Dealer said module was bad and would cost $1200 to repair it. Insurance company / body shop / dealer insist it's not accident related so I'm stuck paying for it.

I insist that it was fine before so either the accident caused it or the body shop did. Does anyone have any info on what can cause these to go (other than bad design). I want to go back to the insurance company with some info to support my claim that they (or the shop) should pay for it.

My suspicions have gotten worse as the body shop just called to say that the battery died (it's only a few months old) and now the flashers are stuck on.

Help!

Thanks.
- Mike
mformica@connecttime.net
Old 04-13-2005, 08:39 AM

Default From what you're telling, I can't think of any way it's body shop's fault. But hey, I'm not a

factory trained tech.
Talk to an Audi tech. If he/she can stick by your claim and argue it with an insurance adjuster, providing a reasonable expalantion how the module could be damaged at the body shop, you have a good chance of making the ins.co pay.

Honestly, looks like a freaky coincidence to me.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Did the accident cause damage to ANY of the Brake system components?...

I'm not a mechanic, but if the rear passenger impact damaged any part of the brake system,(lines, calipers etc. & so many more i don't know about), it might have triggered the ABS light.

IMO, Your insurance co. should pay for it. From my experience with accidents, anything can be affected regardless of how far the initial impact was away from the failed component.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:23 PM

Default ABS failure was caused by accident...more

Thanks everyone for the input. I wanted to close the thread by reporting that the ABS module failure was indeed caused by the accident. The dealer reported that they were 'unable to communicate' to the ABS module and their conclusion was that the module needed to be replaced. Before we had that done, however, the car started having some other issues (flashers wouldn't turn off, locking system wasn't working). At that time I insisted that they reevalute their ABS diagnosis and look at it from an electrical perspective. What they discovered is that a cable harness running past the damaged door was crimped during the accident and shorted out some systems. Once they fixed that all of the systems came back online and they were able to communicate to the ABS module after all. Needless to say the insurance company is paying for the electrical work and the $1200 ABS module repair was avoided. Hope this helps someone else and thanks again.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:00 PM

Wow! Glad you got it worked out and thanks for the update