Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 TDI Finally 147 days later -My opinion-

Old 02-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 TDI Finally 147 days later -My opinion-

After waiting 147 days since I placed my order my SQ5 TDI finally arrived.
Thought I would share my thoughts.

During the proccess of new car shopping it took me 3 test drives between a few other cars to be convinced it was the right choice comparing it too (I know not direct competitors) X6 3.0 Turbo diesel, X6 4.0 Twin turbo diesel, 335i DCT Coupe, Tourag V8 TDI, Mercedes ML 350, demo cayenne diesel, drove them all.

Any wayyyy I have already clocked up 570 km in 2 days and nights, I just can't get enough off driving it. It is everything I hoped for plus so much more and even better then I remembered.
I would go on this site everyday and try and see everyones opinions on what they thought.

A few questions I would always wonder, is it quick enough? is it too firm? is it loud enough??
Now I can give you all my opinion on what I think.

a) quick enough- for everyday to day driving absolutely, the torque of this thing makes overtaking so easy, it is truly a delicious car to drive. Im not going up the mountains and putting it on the limit in corners or making passengers wet their pants from brutal GTR acceleration but it certainly has enough pick up to run pretty much most cars at the lights and very deceptively easy to speed over the limit in.

b) Hows the ride? - I have the optional 21" wheels which I will say don't even bother with the 20's the 21's are to die for, just a gorgeous rim. Every now and then I would read people complain about the ride, probably because they compare it to a regular Q5. After driving it on my own familiar roads I will say to those people "go drive a C63 or an M3 and then tell me it's to firm," the ride is stiff no denying but its not back breaking like a few people made out, honestly I could easily cope with a more stiff setup.

The exhaust- ahhh the question we all ask about the artificial sound produced from the actuators, honestly it sounds F$#*ing awesome! it's plenty loud enough unfortunately the videos we see on you tube don't do it any justice as it is a fairly deep sounds rather the a hight pitch screaming N/A motor. I was considering the upgrade sound module but now after driving it and hearing some drive by's no way, it's just right.

Please I'm not here to argue with the people that bitch and wine, for me the SQ5 is a daily car with some good performance, I clock up the miles and having diesel reliability longevity in a performance car is a bonus. I specked the car with - ibis white, 21", carbon inlays, panoramic glass roof, heated seats, B&O audio.

Again just my opinion on the car, Im sure the cars I drove before would suit other people better in some cases but for anyone that's a bit stuck I hope it helps because I would of loved a genuine owner review if I was still deciding
Old 02-16-2014, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats and please post some pics.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Well said. Even though I love my SQ5 TFSI, I wish we could get the TDI in the US. Where are you? Steve
Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cheers mate, From Australia. The TFSI engine is still a fantastic engine Im a huuuuge fan!!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
Congrats and please post some pics.
Will do, just got the tint on today I will follow up this thread with a couple of pics
Old 02-16-2014, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are enjoying it!

Good to have another TDI buddy!
Old 02-17-2014, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You've got another SQ5 TDI enthusiast here in Milan ! Panther black, 21" alloys, B&O, panoramic glass roof.

Cheers
Old 02-17-2014, 07:43 PM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Please post some pics.

Unlike the other post I am glad we still are getting the TSFI engine in the US. Never been a fan of diesel and I am in no mood to pay more for it both as a new car and on the pump.

If US ever gets its act right on diesels I might consider getting one.

Our car is still 3 months out....... Can't wait for it to arrive.

Thanks for posting an update.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! I hope to be able to drive a TDI SQ5 someday! Or at least that engine in any Audi. Sounds awesome - enjoy it!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hoping the next gen SQ5 will have the TDI as an option!