S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Is best sound on B&O really through SD card?

Old 12-18-2013, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is best sound on B&O really through SD card?

I listen to music from my iPhone app (rdio) through the bluetooth connection and the sound is great. Is the sound that much better if I used the SD card slots? The rdio app is great because I just stream whatever music I want to listen to. No need to download music, which is a royal PITA. Thoughts?
Old 12-18-2013, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paTTsfan
I listen to music from my iPhone app (rdio) through the bluetooth connection and the sound is great. Is the sound that much better if I used the SD card slots? The rdio app is great because I just stream whatever music I want to listen to. No need to download music, which is a royal PITA. Thoughts?
Where would the SD card slot be located? I hv the B&O system. Also what app are you using for music? I have my phone synced via Bluetooth but idk about anything else that it can do.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fez2013
Where would the SD card slot be located? I hv the B&O system. Also what app are you using for music? I have my phone synced via Bluetooth but idk about anything else that it can do.
SD card slot is located in the center of the instrument panel just above the climate controls . There is a panel that opens to reveal 2 SD slots and one for the sim card.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by paTTsfan
The online streaming services compress the music and in real world, cannot give you the kbps rating they spec. SD cards are a pure digital copy source and will provide the best dynamic range and frequency response assuming your music files are high bit AAC or MP3. Further, if you have the B&O with Nav, the signal from an SD card is processed in the digital domain through the MOST system all the way to the amps. A bit more work but if you're looking for the best possible source, it will be an SD card (assuming you have the slot).
3G MMI Nav Plus info:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840907
Old 12-18-2013, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The online streaming services compress the music and in real world, cannot give you the kbps rating they spec. SD cards are a pure digital copy source and will provide the best dynamic range and frequency response assuming your music files are high bit AAC or MP3. Further, if you have the B&O with Nav, the signal from an SD card is processed in the digital domain through the MOST system all the way to the amps. A bit more work but if you're looking for the best possible source, it will be an SD card (assuming you have the slot).
3G MMI Nav Plus info:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840907
I have 2 SD slots. I guess I will download some music onto an SD card and do a little comparison. If it's noticeably better than my current setup, then the sound must be awesome! Thanks.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Be sure the music files are either 256kbps AAC or 320kpbs MP3 for your test. (The MMI doesn't support lossless).
Old 12-19-2013, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Be sure the music files are either 256kbps AAC or 320kpbs MP3 for your test. (The MMI doesn't support lossless).
That's exactly what I"m downloading. Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-19-2013, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

You can play lossless from your phone over the bluetooth connection if you have an app for that. Otherwise it's rotating media for you. Pop in a DVD movie some day for an audio experience.

That being said, there are many lossy formats available that are very good.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:32 AM
Banned

I would expect a CD or DVD to give the best quality. Yes?
Old 12-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
You can play lossless from your phone over the bluetooth connection if you have an app for that. Otherwise it's rotating media for you. Pop in a DVD movie some day for an audio experience.

That being said, there are many lossy formats available that are very good.
What type of App would that be? I stream Pandora mostly, if I want to listen to music. I do have some music on an SD card. Haven't figured out what to do with Jukebox since I listen to sports talk most of the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is best sound on B&O really through SD card?