A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

S Line crying for a suitable rear ASB

Old 12-04-2013, 01:29 PM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S Line crying for a suitable rear ASB

Was going to keep the vehicle mod free, but the plow was too far below expectation to live with; coming from an H Sport, Bilstein, Eibach C5 set up in the past. Anyway, the install was not that bad short of dropping and suspending the exhaust and taking off one rear wheel. The C6 S Line does come with a one mm thicker rear ASB at 20mm; but it begs for a 25mm. Set it up at the firmest setting. Now, the car boogies in the twisties relative to running without the bar. That really is all the daily driven road car needed, imho. For the mod hungry; Stasis has a good all around package to enhance the C6 platform.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so u installed the rear H&R 71200 25mm anti sway bar?
are u lowered?
any piece of suspension rubbing the sways at firmest setting?
Old 12-04-2013, 08:32 PM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Am using the stock S Line suspension as pictured in my avatar. No rubbing, jolting, squeaking, or any other clearance issues with the H&R bar, even over pot holes. Took off the driver's side rear wheel and was able to place the bar without any pry bar manipulation of stock suspension arms. Easier than the H Sport install on my old '02 4.2 C5, which required pulling down on the unbolted exhaust to get the bar in. Hardest part on the C6 install was getting the damn center exhaust hangers bolted back up. Used two jack-stands under the rear sub-frame with rear wheels dangling off load, and one under the cross-pipe of the exhaust to support the exhaust system "hang". It was the perfect amount of clearance to zip the ASB right in. The ASB bracket to sub-frame were torqued at 18.9 ft-lbs. Important to torque the bottom mounting points of the ASB end-links under load at stock ride height at 40 ft-lbs. Gorilla arms, 6 point 16 mm shallow socket, and 3/8 drive torque wrench made final torque down a breeze. Car is transformed from frowns to smiles now. May even pull the power steering booster relay for less fluff in the rack.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:47 PM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MainlandMig
so u installed the rear H&R 71200 25mm anti sway bar?
are u lowered?
any piece of suspension rubbing the sways at firmest setting?
Day 2 and binding issue on 90 degree right turns into and out of steep ramped driveways is duly noted. Perhaps there were settling issues and/or my initial evaluation was not concise enough to post findings accurately. Will be switching to softer setting tomorrow to see if binding still occurs. Thanks for the question. Without it, the prevalence of the obviously known issue would not be as apparent.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is a helpful thread

CLICK

also
post some pics if u can

Last edited by MainlandMig; 12-05-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:01 PM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MainlandMig
here is a helpful thread

CLICK

also
post some pics if u can
Thanks. Found the source of binding on the firm setting. It would not be pretty if left unresolved. Apparently, when the endlink end of the ASB is thrust upward for extreme turns; the opposite end gets thrust against the axle shaft on the opposite side. Am just talking about my own application, not faulting the specs of the product. If I wanted to keep the firm setting, I would simply grind down and round the edges of the ASB end-link part of the bar over extending. I tried the less firm hole closer to the bar endpoint on the ASB, thus moving the ASB end of the bar farther away from both axles to eliminate any chance of binding. Tested it and am satisfied. The softer setting is more suitable for a daily driver road car, IMHO. Therefore, I am going to leave my steering boosted and accept the correction the softer setting on the ASB offers. Nice balance. Theoretically, one could grind off the ASB end points to the soft setting hole and round the edges to create more clearance if they just wanted to have a firm only option. However that may affect the integrity of the bar if done incorrectly. Thanks a lot for the help and input. Would hate to have potential ill affects on a rear axle bearing or such by leaving the condition untreated.