A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

OBD Connection Failure

Old 11-13-2011, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD Connection Failure

Vehicle:
2001 A4 1.8t FWD 5spd
completely stock

Problem:

I cannot connect to the on board diagnostics of the car. I have tried using: authentic ross-tech cable & software, Autozone generic obd2 connector and the ebay connectors. I have to pass emissions soon or I cannot renew my registration!

Notes:

I have tried these possible solutions: disconnect/reconnect abs module, checked k-line (.8v kline to ground/i couldnt get a stable ohm reading) according to ross-tech as long as kline is under 12v it is fine. I have tried a complete reset of the vehicle by disconnecting the battery (although I haven't tried connecting to the obd but I'm assuming this didn't help; call me a pessimist lol).

radio was working and problem existed already, however radio is non operative now. I'm not sure how this happened. Nothing on display but is lit up and no sound from any source (doesn't take in cds or tape). Also when I tried to remove the radio to try and reset the fuse, I broke the clips so it is fairly difficult to remove.

Solutions:

can someone point me in the right direction? Please and thank you. Also is there a way to remove the radio without using the din clips?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ruckus1027
Vehicle:
2001 A4 1.8t FWD 5spd
completely stock

Problem:

I cannot connect to the on board diagnostics of the car. I have tried using: authentic ross-tech cable & software, Autozone generic obd2 connector and the ebay connectors. I have to pass emissions soon or I cannot renew my registration!

Notes:

I have tried these possible solutions: disconnect/reconnect abs module, checked k-line (.8v kline to ground/i couldnt get a stable ohm reading) according to ross-tech as long as kline is under 12v it is fine. I have tried a complete reset of the vehicle by disconnecting the battery (although I haven't tried connecting to the obd but I'm assuming this didn't help; call me a pessimist lol).

radio was working and problem existed already, however radio is non operative now. I'm not sure how this happened. Nothing on display but is lit up and no sound from any source (doesn't take in cds or tape). Also when I tried to remove the radio to try and reset the fuse, I broke the clips so it is fairly difficult to remove.

Solutions:

can someone point me in the right direction? Please and thank you. Also is there a way to remove the radio without using the din clips?
Symphony radios often get stuck. Those clips were always marginal on single DIN, when they went double DIN they were undersized for the task.

Get (2) 1 1/2 inch plastic putty knives and wedge them in on either side of the stereo. Insert the removal keys. Take off the right side trim panel so you can get your hand behind the head unit and push.

It works every time for me.

Straighten the retaining clips and clean up the area so it's not sticky anymore before you re-assemble.

Everything plugs into the K-line, the favorites to kill the K-line are ABS, Radio, Cluster, central locking, climate control.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you sir for the reply.

However, I think I broke the din clips for the radio trying to get the unit out. Is there a way I can get it out; like panel/trim removal?

As for the KLine hang up, could a full reset (battery disconnect) possibly free it up?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you sir for the reply.

However, I think I broke the din clips for the radio trying to get the unit out. Is there a way I can get it out; like panel/trim removal?

As for the KLine hang up, could a full reset (battery disconnect) possibly free it up?
If you really broke the clips it wouldn't still be stuck in there.

You bent the clips, wedging the putty knives in there usually allows it to slide out. Pushing from the back also helps. Remove the panel on the side of the console (where the passengers right foot would be) you can see the back of the radio from there.

You may have to break the trim to get it out otherwise, all of the fasteners holding that part of the console are behind the trim. The radio needs to be removed to access them.

As to the K-line, disconnecting the battery rarely does that help. You may make things worse as now all the learned setup info has been cleared.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
If you really broke the clips it wouldn't still be stuck in there.

You bent the clips, wedging the putty knives in there usually allows it to slide out. Pushing from the back also helps. Remove the panel on the side of the console (where the passengers right foot would be) you can see the back of the radio from there.

You may have to break the trim to get it out otherwise, all of the fasteners holding that part of the console are behind the trim. The radio needs to be removed to access them.

As to the K-line, disconnecting the battery rarely does that help. You may make things worse as now all the learned setup info has been cleared.

Hmm I see, well after disconnecting the battery, still not able to connect with the Autozone scanner (readily available to be). I'm not sure if this is relevant, I forgot to mention before, I have the air bag light on.

I'll try and get the radio out today. Do you think that will really help my OBD connection problem?

Do you think I have a major problem here? I mean since all the common remedy (disconnect abs module, check Kline voltage etc.) isn't working to fix the OBD connection. I guess what I am really trying to say is I am a bit at a loss for a plan of action right now. What do you think I should do?

Thank you so much
Old 11-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Start by getting a VAG-COM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hmm I see, well after disconnecting the battery, still not able to connect with the Autozone scanner (readily available to be). I'm not sure if this is relevant, I forgot to mention before, I have the air bag light on.

I'll try and get the radio out today. Do you think that will really help my OBD connection problem?

Do you think I have a major problem here? I mean since all the common remedy (disconnect abs module, check Kline voltage etc.) isn't working to fix the OBD connection. I guess what I am really trying to say is I am a bit at a loss for a plan of action right now. What do you think I should do?

Thank you so much
All you have established is that the K-line voltage signals are within limits. That test doesn't determine if all the modules are OK. You haven't figured it out yet if one is blocking communications.

You can run K line diagnostics with only one module connected in the car.

And since the Airbag is lit there's another potential culprit.

My state (WA) allows a sniffer test on OBDII cars if the port is not working, you might check with your emissions testing facility on what you need. This happens on a lot of vehicles and they don't want you damaging their equipment either.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Start by getting a VAG-COM.
Thank you for the response, not sure if you read the entire thread, (ref. to original post) I tried to connect with a real authentic ross-tech vag-com to no avail.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
All you have established is that the K-line voltage signals are within limits. That test doesn't determine if all the modules are OK. You haven't figured it out yet if one is blocking communications.

You can run K line diagnostics with only one module connected in the car.

And since the Airbag is lit there's another potential culprit.

My state (WA) allows a sniffer test on OBDII cars if the port is not working, you might check with your emissions testing facility on what you need. This happens on a lot of vehicles and they don't want you damaging their equipment either.
Well, emission test through the tail pipe would be awesome, except I have a check engine light as well. So I really have to get the communication going.

When you say "run K line diagnostics with only one module connected," are you saying disconnect all modules that communicate with K line and test one by one?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, emission test through the tail pipe would be awesome, except I have a check engine light as well. So I really have to get the communication going.

When you say "run K line diagnostics with only one module connected," are you saying disconnect all modules that communicate with K line and test one by one?
They are in parallel, so if you can get just one to work you would know your wiring and scanner is OK.

Have you checked to see if you have continuity between the OBD port and any of the modules?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBD Connection Failure