Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Whining/Grinding Noise From Front Axles

Old 05-16-2012, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whining/Grinding Noise From Front Axles

Hi Guys! Looking for some feedback on what I think is probably a non issue and tire related, as they are breaking in, rather than an issue with the front CV joints! My 2.0t A6 is nearing 5K and I will have this checked out at the first service, but has anyone experienced a whining/grinding sound (very faint) when the car is driven from a full stop with the steering wheel locked all the way to the left or right? The sound seems to come from the front axles and goes away when the steering wheel is released ever so slightly from the lock to lock position! The frequency of the sound also increases as the car's speed increases while the wheel is locked all the way left or right!

????

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 3.0 but have never experienced it. I would definitely have the dealer take a look at it.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jatmobil
Hi Guys! Looking for some feedback on what I think is probably a non issue and tire related, as they are breaking in, rather than an issue with the front CV joints! My 2.0t A6 is nearing 5K and I will have this checked out at the first service, but has anyone experienced a whining/grinding sound (very faint) when the car is driven from a full stop with the steering wheel locked all the way to the left or right? The sound seems to come from the front axles and goes away when the steering wheel is released ever so slightly from the lock to lock position! The frequency of the sound also increases as the car's speed increases while the wheel is locked all the way left or right!

????

Thanks!
I had same issue and took it to dealer to examine. I only have 2300Km and was worried if low fluid condition or bad joint exists. The dealer told me this is normal and nothing wrong, it seems to be a characteristic of steering mechanism. However searching forum across other models you will see threads discussed on A4 about TSB:
The applicable TSB is 22022643/1. It states:
Quote:
"Customers with dynamic steering (1N7 - Audi Drive Select) may complain of a shudder in the steering wheel or a knocking noise when the steering wheel is turned during parking lot maneuvers or while driving at low speeds (below 5mph). Technical Background: Currently under investigation. Service: No repair is available at this time. Do not replace any components. (1) Instruct the customer that the condition will not impede the performance or use of the vehicle. (2) Submit a Technical Assistance Center (TAC) ticket and contact an Audi TAC consultant. As soon as further information is known, this TSB will be updated."

One solution was to replace power steering hose, I did not pursue the TSB as it does not bother me much and trying in most of time not to lock wheels (if situation allows).

But you should still check it in case something else specific to your car & may show him TSB and steering hose if it applies to A6.
Let us know!!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW my B5 S4 did that and so does my B8 S4. I never got a good explanation for it on my B5, although some thought it was related to the speed differential of the outer and inner wheel (while turning) -- it only happens under power so perhaps the differential is sending the same power to both sides but the tires are spinning at different speeds.

*edit* meant to post this under the main thread since I was answering the OP
Old 05-16-2012, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by stoulana
I had same issue and took it to dealer to examine. I only have 2300Km and was worried if low fluid condition or bad joint exists. The dealer told me this is normal and nothing wrong, it seems to be a characteristic of steering mechanism. However searching forum across other models you will see threads discussed on A4 about TSB:
The applicable TSB is 22022643/1. It states:
Quote:
"Customers with dynamic steering (1N7 - Audi Drive Select) may complain of a shudder in the steering wheel or a knocking noise when the steering wheel is turned during parking lot maneuvers or while driving at low speeds (below 5mph). Technical Background: Currently under investigation. Service: No repair is available at this time. Do not replace any components. (1) Instruct the customer that the condition will not impede the performance or use of the vehicle. (2) Submit a Technical Assistance Center (TAC) ticket and contact an Audi TAC consultant. As soon as further information is known, this TSB will be updated."

One solution was to replace power steering hose, I did not pursue the TSB as it does not bother me much and trying in most of time not to lock wheels (if situation allows).
The TSB was updated for the 2009/early 2010 A4 with replacement of new reinforced power steering hoses. Problem solved back in 2010. Was not just for ADS cars however - affected all early B8 A4s.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Quick Update

So, the car is in with the dealer for the 5K service. They had me reproduce the whining/squealing/grinding sound from the front drive shafts which I did. It turns out, the wheel has to be off center, left or right, and not necessarily turned all the way left or right. I was able to reporduce the sound, and the service advisor heard it clearly. He thought at first that it's just the CV boots rubbing against itself when compressed due to the turned wheels. So they were going to spray them down with some silicone lube to see if it goes away! Turns out that didn't do the trick!

Got a call just now stating that "They now have Audi involved!!"

Hopefully, it's not a big deal (I really don't want the front end opened up to replace any of it) but in case it is, then a word to the wise: Please check your cars as well and see if you have the same problem!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hopefully it gets all fixed, let us know what was the issue as I was told by my dealer this is normal, but symptoms may not be the same. Keep us updated & good luck.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I noticed the same noise, but haven't had time to post about it.

Mine makes the same whining/grinding noise when driving slowly and turning. It is very noticeable with the windows down and radio off.

I just hit 5000 miles, but haven't taken it in for the first service yet.

Thanks for keeping us updated! I hope it is an easy fix as we have a trip to Germany planned in about 2 weeks.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

UPDATE

Got a call yesterday from my dealer saying that they had ordered a part which would arrive today (a.m.) and the car should hopefully be ready later today.

Just got off the phone with my service advisor. The part that was ordered is fluid for the final drive/differntial for the CVT. Audi Tech had them check the fluid leve, and it was low (not dangerously low though) from the factory. Audi Tech has recommended that the fluid level be restored and that should resolve the issue.

According to my service advisor, the fluid comes in a special bottle with a build in nozzle that fits into a small fill hole on the CVT and gets squirted in through that.

I would have assumed that the final drive/differntial would get the same fluid as the rest of the CVT. Wouldn't it? Maybe it does, but perhaps its the special bottle/nozzle that is needed? Lets see... I have my fingers crossed!!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jatmobil
UPDATE

Got a call yesterday from my dealer saying that they had ordered a part which would arrive today (a.m.) and the car should hopefully be ready later today.

Just got off the phone with my service advisor. The part that was ordered is fluid for the final drive/differntial for the CVT. Audi Tech had them check the fluid leve, and it was low (not dangerously low though) from the factory. Audi Tech has recommended that the fluid level be restored and that should resolve the issue.

According to my service advisor, the fluid comes in a special bottle with a build in nozzle that fits into a small fill hole on the CVT and gets squirted in through that.

I would have assumed that the final drive/differntial would get the same fluid as the rest of the CVT. Wouldn't it? Maybe it does, but perhaps its the special bottle/nozzle that is needed? Lets see... I have my fingers crossed!!
Did they explain how CVT affects steering wheel mechanism or noise it makes when wheels are turned, they
could be sharing common part but I was expecting issue is steering mechanism but unclear they maybe be related.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whining/Grinding Noise From Front Axles