Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Red iPod Cable Information

Old 01-16-2012, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Red iPod Cable Information

I wanted to make a new thread for the A6 (C7) with the red vs blue iPod cable information. This should work for both US and Euro Spec cars.

Current as of Jan 2012, you should get the blue iPod cable with your car as standard equipment. The red iPod cable may become the new standard cable later on, though.

The red cable allows for videos and album art to be displayed. Make sure to check box for album art in the settings under 'Media' 'Settings' check the 'Display track info' box.

Before you order the red cable make sure you have the updated software version PO467, PO487, or K0485 (there are newer updates available now, but I am not going to put each one in here as everyone should have the newer software by now). Hit the menu button, upper right corner sub menu button - setup mmi - then scroll down to the bottom, and you will see version, click on that, you will see software version on top and navigation version on the bottom. So far one person from Norway was able to get his MMI updated by his dealer in the form of a CD...

Then order the red cable part no. 4F0-051-510-R from your local dealer or online. It was £35 after taxes from my dealer some others have paid around $80 for it.

I want to give credit to the members of this forum for getting all of this info, I am just putting it all together so it is easier to find. If you notice any errors or have info to add to this thread, post up. Thanks!

Here is the blue cable, notice no album art...

Here is the red cable, can play videos and see album art...

Last edited by darcivic00si; 12-02-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Also allow videos from IPods to be played (while stopped).
Old 01-16-2012, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for post. Dealer does not want to update software unless there is a problem. Sucks for us. Anyone else have luck getting the update? What did you say to request it from the dealer?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tomk
Also allow videos from IPods to be played (while stopped).
Yup, thanks!

Originally Posted by joseaudi
Thanks for post. Dealer does not want to update software unless there is a problem. Sucks for us. Anyone else have luck getting the update? What did you say to request it from the dealer?
My car was built in Nov, so I didn't have to request the update...that really does suck for you early build guys!!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the post, I'll need to look into the red cable. What update are we talking about?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by psychodo
Thanks for the post, I'll need to look into the red cable. What update are we talking about?
An update for the MMI. Looks like Audi updated it a couple months after production...so you will have to go into your MMI setting and see what version you have. Audi will not do the update, if you need it, though. They will only update it if it is malfuctioning.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can confirm that the red cable connector with the latest software version of MMI the album cover and video works.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by psychodo
psychodo: What version is your MMI? Then we'll know whether or not there is an update for you.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here... just picked it up this morning (sheesh, $80?). Forum wins again!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by manishaudi
psychodo: What version is your MMI? Then we'll know whether or not there is an update for you.
Software version is listed as HN+R_US_AU PO487

My car was manufactured in October

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Red iPod Cable Information