S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

trunk won't open

Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunk won't open

The other day my dad kind of closed the trunk weird. It's like he was trying to do it gently and not touch the paint, and maybe he half closed it or something. Anyway, I'm not sure but I may have opened it again after that. Last night I was at the airport and I couldn't get it open with the remote button or the trunk button on the driver's side door. I was able to crawl in the trunk and open it with the child emergency latch. But no dice on the auto-open.

I guess I have to bring it in and have them fix it under warranty?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

this happened to me as well (key wouldn't work, switch on door wouldn't work)...I took it in to the dealer and for some reason the valet mode had been switched on (I do not remember ever hitting the button but but c'est la vie). Check in your glove box and see if this is not the case.
The following 3 users liked this post by s4shadow1:
Arixsin (03-01-2020), jeffpr (10-08-2021), vicaudi (11-17-2019)
Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by westwest888
The other day my dad kind of closed the trunk weird. It's like he was trying to do it gently and not touch the paint, and maybe he half closed it or something. Anyway, I'm not sure but I may have opened it again after that. Last night I was at the airport and I couldn't get it open with the remote button or the trunk button on the driver's side door. I was able to crawl in the trunk and open it with the child emergency latch. But no dice on the auto-open.

I guess I have to bring it in and have them fix it under warranty?
don't know if this will help you, but right after i picked up my car from the dealer when i purchased it, i had a similar issue. the trunk opened normally for the first day but then became inaccesible. i could not open the trunk with the remote, the button release in the door or with the trunk lid release. eventually i checked in the owners manual and found a valet function button in the glove box that secures the trunk from unauthorized access. check to see if that solves your problem. still have not figured out what activated that function on my car but its all ok now. hope that works for you like it did for me
Old 04-08-2011, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah it was the valet. Strange. I can't see that button from the driver's seat because it's too far under. In my BMW, you had to use a key to go to valet mode. The button is error prone...

Wish it had a warning on the dash like "no, valet".
Old 10-08-2013, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks so much. I just had the same problem. I had a funny feeling it was something simple! Appreciate it!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

When the Valet button is activated there is a warning, or more exact a message that appears at startup informing you that the Valet mode has been turned on.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Battery is dead

I believe my battery is dead and I can't access my trunk 2011 audi a4 is there a way to open it
Old 12-29-2017, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellis Jackson
I believe my battery is dead and I can't access my trunk 2011 audi a4 is there a way to open it
Put the folding back seats down. Crawl into the trunk and use the emergency release lever.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just bought a 2014 Audi A4 s line that was in a small accident when the car was picked up at the auction site the dash board lights turned on but didn’t start and now there is no current what so ever. No airbags were diploid but the seat belts in the rear did tighten up so i’m thinking a crash safety mechanism went off which is on the battery but I can’t get the trunk open. I tried to jump starting it from the front but nothing. Also the rear seats don’t fold. If anyone can give me some advice that would help.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you so much! I went to pick up my husband from the airport today and the bitch wouldn't open. I was like great, first an oil consumption issue now this... but it was the valet button. I appreciate your help!
The following users liked this post:
huskyz (08-26-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trunk won't open