Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Oil burning smell

Old 10-11-2011, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil burning smell

I'm a newbie here, but I've read a lot about the various places a 2.7T motor can leak oil. The PO of mine replaced all the usual suspects, cam seals, valve cover gaskets, but i've been getting a faint whiff after I walk away from the car now.

Without getting into a tech discussion (because I HAVEN'T investigated the source), is it just a way of life with these cars (love it, BTW), or should this leak be investigated?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check the cam plugs in the back of the engine. They are often overlooked and the cause for oil leaks onto the exhaust.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Cam plugs in the back of the engine, eh? Haven't scrounged up an engine manual yet, how accessable are they?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just asking...

Are you 100% sure you're smelling burning oil. Could it be the smell of burning hypoid gear lube oil from the rear seal of the transmission?

check out:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...placement.html
"This produces a nasty gear lube oil smell when it burns off. It is most noticeable during hot weather after shutting the car down. If you smell gear lube burning (it has a very distinct smell), this is most likely your problem."
Old 10-13-2011, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

What a great write-up!

But mine is a 6-speed...
Old 10-15-2011, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also check the Camshaft Boring Port plugs.
I used to get a smell after 5 minutes of driving (and when I was walking away from the car). Doug at Autobahn Connection found it and fixed it.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Check your valve cover gaskets.
I get slight oil smell and I know I need to replace my VCG, but I'm too lazy and it's not hurting anyone/anything= not enough oil to make it matter.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Timewise
Just asking...

Are you 100% sure you're smelling burning oil. Could it be the smell of burning hypoid gear lube oil from the rear seal of the transmission?

check out:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...placement.html
"This produces a nasty gear lube oil smell when it burns off. It is most noticeable during hot weather after shutting the car down. If you smell gear lube burning (it has a very distinct smell), this is most likely your problem."
looks like i need to tackle this job. What are some good places to order parts from? also i see that Blau has a kit http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=F2A6001-C but seems like that might be overkill.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I noticed the same thing with my 2002 last winter. The stealership said it was a leaky turbo. I decided to hold off until I could work new turbos into my budget. 3 weeks later, on a cold saturday morning, I started my car, let it warm up for a couple minutes and started driving down the road. I looked in my mirror and saw that I was "crop dusting" Thick whitish-blue smoke coming from the exhaust. Yup, blew a turbo. Had both replaced since it's such a b**ch of a job. They also replaced any other potential oil leak spots. Cam seals, vcg and others.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure all your gaskets on the head are good and not leaking!! Refresh them with our valve cover gasket kit!

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil burning smell