RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

B7 RS4 or B8 S4 ???

Old 03-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B7 RS4 or B8 S4 ???

Hi guys and girls,

Visiting from the Mk2 TT thread. Thinking about a B7 RS4 or B8 S4 as a replacement for the TT as we are starting to get more and more visitors since we moved to our new house.

I'm a little torn on the mpg and environment thing, which suggests a B8 vs a B7. The supercharged B7 is supposed to be 30% better on gas than the V8. On the other hand, I have a solar heated ICF house, so I'm doing my part for mother nature.

Cost of car is not an issue and cost of gas is not an issue. But would be interested in real world mileage city/highway on the V8.

Any other decision points to consider ? Love to drive and a love a stick, so that's no issue.

Last edited by SilverCanuckTT; 03-30-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I get 600klm on one tank on the freeway v8 is great on long haul. + miltek its best car on the road
Old 03-30-2009, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Rs4 ftw!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I drive the freeway quite a bit here in Cali and I average 22mpg on the highway (not driving like an ***...just cruising at 72mph).

Throw traffic into the mix and some spirited driving and Im getting about 300-330 for every tank with filling 15 gallons. So thats about 20-22mpg!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys. Don't do much better in my Mk2 TT 3.2Q MT6. I would have thought I'd get some more passionate responses on the RS4 vs B8 S4 question. Reviews for the new S4 are good after all. Many call it the best handling Audi other than the R8. But the RS4 is simpler and more visceral.

But thanks for the cerebral "one can get decent mileage" responses. That IS good to know.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:01 PM

You probably don't expect much B8 S4 votes from this group here, so call me biased, but once you drive a Quattro GmbH assembled RS you realize there is no substitute...

Honestly, I would even take the old V8 engine over the V6T. I know of many people hurrying to buy this yr's S5 (still V8) as in a few months it's changing to V6T. There is no substitute for displacement, and I would take a high strung N/A engine over anything with assited breathing (unless I seriously want to mod the snot out of it, which prompted me to get the N54 BMW engine for my other stable mate). And already journalists are stating how much they miss the deep growl of the old S4.

Add in subjective factors, such as exclusivity (you own a piece of history vs. just yet another example of mass production car), looks (wider flares, lower stance, brakes, suspension, yada yada ), etc. and I think the RS4 wins hands down. As far as outhandling, unless they tested an RS4 with no fluid left in the DRC system (quite possible as many such cases can be found LOL), there is no way the B8 S4 is better. I am willing to bet that it's Nurburgring times will be far off that of the RS4 (which heldd the record for a 4-door sedan prior to the CTS-V shattering it recently).
Old 04-01-2009, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

While I will not attest to how the B8 S4 performs/handles, it most likely will NOT compare to a stasis outfitted RS4. While I cant speak about DRC (my car was outfitted with Ohlins and H-Sport sways when I bought it used) I can say that the current upgraded suspension is simply amazing.

I would also give the nod to the V8 simply for its sound! I have not once gotten tired of my exhaust note and have been complimented several times even by an R8 owner and 09 M3 owner that it sounds beastly (I have the GMG exhaust).

Finally, the pricing of the RS4 is very tough to beat right now. The B8 isn't even out yet and Im sure there will be a nice little waiting list to even buy one at a stupidly premium price.

Sooo what Im saying is....RS4 FTW
Old 04-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well that's more like it ! Those are the kinds of answers I was looking for. Will keep you apprised !
Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

S4 = watered down RS4.. slower, worse handling, might as well buy a Lexus GS430 and hop it up.

Two completely different cars, not even close.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by craiglieberman
S4 = watered down RS4.. slower, worse handling, might as well buy a Lexus GS430 and hop it up.

Two completely different cars, not even close.
The handling comments don't really apply. The B8 is a better platform with significantly better weight distribution. The quattro sport rear differential adds a dimension that the RS4 doesn't have.

In many ways, the B8 S4 is a more enjoyable car than the B7 RS4.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: B7 RS4 or B8 S4 ???