Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Air control box

Old 12-17-2013, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air control box

Replacing the Air Susp control box. The one with the plug in ports for the air lines. Received a new one but there are no holes drilled thru it for mounting. The old one looks like it was riveted in. Does anyone know hows its removed and how to mount the new one? Must you remove the passenger seats?
Old 12-17-2013, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the valve block that sits in tandem with the compressor (it has air lines)? Or the air suspension control module in the trunk compartment (no air lines, just electrical connections)?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Are you talking about the valve block that sits in tandem with the compressor (it has air lines)? Or the air suspension control module in the trunk compartment (no air lines, just electrical connections)?
The Valve Block next to the compressor.

Thanks for your reply to my initial question
Old 12-18-2013, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In that case, I'm not sure how removing passenger seats will help you...

Be sure the car is on a proper lift or on jack stands and not resting on its wheels.

You should probably remove the whole compressor assembly. Here's a video from Arnott on how to remove the compressor.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

By the way, why are you replacing the valve block? You know for sure the old one is bad? They don't go very frequently.

Here's a diagram from Bentley on the whole assembly. There are no steps on removing the valve block, but hopefully this helps with component and nut/bolt locations.
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2013, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply, there was air leaking from the dump valve of the control box as it was trying to inflate. I suspect I have an air leak in one of the front bags. But had to establish a starting point. An expensive starting point since I just purchased the car for my wife. I also ordered the rebuild kit for the pump.

I am expecting one or more airbag leaks in the front. I will replace them with Arnott bags if they are leaking. I can't get the car in the Jack level since air leaks from one front bag but mostly from the control block.

We are trying to figure out how the control valve is attached to the car. It looks like rivets from underneath. My initial question was if we had to remove the bench back seat to get at what ever attachment goes thru the floor into the top of the control valve.

Thanks again for your reply and video on pump removal since I will need to take that step to use the rebuild kit.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

None of the instructions I found list anything about removing the valve block. Even Bentley does not list any steps in it.

Looking closely at the diagrams, you may be right that it's screwed on by bolts from the rear seat area.

It's not hard to take the rear bench out, try it, and let us know if that's how it works.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Steve2648
there was air leaking from the dump valve of the control box as it was trying to inflate. I suspect I have an air leak in one of the front bags. But had to establish a starting point.
Air from the dump valve in normal operating condition would indicated there is too much pressure in one or more air bags. A leaking air bag would not give this result as the dump would be closed and more pressure added.

Another senario is a height sensor that is faulty or not adjusted correctly. If it is sending a signal to raise a corner, the other wheel ends might be fighting that by dumping air as those corners would be raising slightly.

Check your ride height sensors at each wheel end to see if they are even connected...
Old 12-18-2013, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks everyone, I will look it over tonight