S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2014 Audi S4 All Season Tires

Old 11-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Audi S4 All Season Tires

Hey Guys,

So I am brand new to the forum. I have been reading threads on here for a while and finally joined because...I finally placed an order for my S4! Here is my configuration:

2014 Audi S4
Prestige Package
6-speed Manual Transmission with Audi Quattro AWD
Exterior Color: Phantom Black Pearl
Interior Color: Black Leather/Alcantara Seating Surfaces
Decorative Inlays: Layered Aluminum/Black Wood Inlay
Wheels: 19” 5-Segment-spoke design wheels with Silver finish 255/35 summer tires
Front License Plate Holder
Driver Assist Package
Sport Differential
Adaptive Damping Suspension
All Weather Floor Mats

I placed the order the first week of October, and was given an estimated date of mid-December. I usually pride myself in being a patient person, but this one is killing me. December cannot get here fast enough haha.

Anyway, my dealer told me that the 19" package only comes with summer tires. For some reason they cannot get Audi to send all seasons or winter tires on the car when you get the 19" package. I live in New England and will absolutely need winter or all season tires (especially after the past couple winters that we have had). I don't want to worry about getting winter tires put on then taken off come the spring. So I have decided to get all seasons. I tried to do a lot of research on which one is best and the conclusion seems to be Continental DWS.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....dClar=Prestige

Has anyone had any experience with these specific tires? Or can you recommend another all season tire for my S4.

Thank you!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congrats on the order. I don't have specific experience with the Continentals you mentioned, but I have found generally that all-season tires are a poor substitute for dedicated snow tires in winter. When I owned a 2003 M3, it came with 18" performance tires (Michelin Pilot Sports). I bought a set of dedicated snow tires and 17" wheels from Tire Rack and switched them out twice a year. Turned out my rear-wheel drive M3 was just fine in the snow, with the right tires. All-season tires won't give you the performance of summer tires or the grip of winter tires, which is a significant compromise with a performance car like an M3 or S4. And since the S4 is AWD, I'm sure it'd be a beast with snow tires, even in New England.

I know it's a bit of a hassle to have two sets of tires and switch them out, but to me it's totally worth it. I'm hoping to order a 2014 S4 before the end of the year, and I know I'll buy a dedicated set of snow tires and wheels. I know this doesn't answer your question, but give it some thought.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your input. Yeah I have gone back and forth about getting dedicated snows for the S4. I have heard pros and cons for going either way. What I decided to do is try the all seasons out for this winter. If I find myself slipping and sliding then I will sell the all seasons and get a set of winter tires for next winter (I am keeping the summer tires that come with my car in my garage).

So worst case scenario, the all seasons don't cut it, I will already have my summer tires and all I will have to do is sell the all seasons, and buy some dedicated winters.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:20 AM
jgd
Banned

Originally Posted by Muggsy2006
Congrats on the order. I don't have specific experience with the Continentals you mentioned, but I have found generally that all-season tires are a poor substitute for dedicated snow tires in winter. When I owned a 2003 M3, it came with 18" performance tires (Michelin Pilot Sports). I bought a set of dedicated snow tires and 17" wheels from Tire Rack and switched them out twice a year. Turned out my rear-wheel drive M3 was just fine in the snow, with the right tires. All-season tires won't give you the performance of summer tires or the grip of winter tires, which is a significant compromise with a performance car like an M3 or S4. And since the S4 is AWD, I'm sure it'd be a beast with snow tires, even in New England.

I know it's a bit of a hassle to have two sets of tires and switch them out, but to me it's totally worth it. I'm hoping to order a 2014 S4 before the end of the year, and I know I'll buy a dedicated set of snow tires and wheels. I know this doesn't answer your question, but give it some thought.
+1 I did the same and use Dunlop Wintermaxx 3D, on 18" VMR 710's, I found a used set on this forum.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

One reason why I am leaning towards all seasons is because I don't have much storage space in my garage. I plan on putting my summer tires in there, but honestly I don't think I have the room to keep a whole set of wheels and tires.

That is why I am going with all seasons. If they don't work out, then I will have to find some place to store a dedicated set of winters.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mesa512
One reason why I am leaning towards all seasons is because I don't have much storage space in my garage. I plan on putting my summer tires in there, but honestly I don't think I have the room to keep a whole set of wheels and tires.

That is why I am going with all seasons. If they don't work out, then I will have to find some place to store a dedicated set of winters.
Yeah, I understand the storage issue. I'll have to clear some stuff out of my single-car garage to make to make room, but I need an excuse to do that anyway. There's a lot that's in there only because I haven't had a reason to get rid of it yet.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Muggsy2006
Yeah, I understand the storage issue. I'll have to clear some stuff out of my single-car garage to make to make room, but I need an excuse to do that anyway. There's a lot that's in there only because I haven't had a reason to get rid of it yet.
Yeah, exact same situation here. I just have not found time to clean the garage and make room. Maybe if the all seasons don't perform that will finally be the push to make me do it.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do know that you can order the S4 with 18" A/S tires. But really. IMHO, the car does look better with 19" wheels. Not sure what your area is like, but with A/S tires you will get around Ok in snow and bad weather as long as the local municpalities are plowing the roads early and frequently. But if you need to get through more than a few inches of snow, you would be better off with winter tires. To some, A/S tires are bad choice for winter and summer. I have run A/S tires on my '04 & '10 S4s. But I put them on the car after the OEM summer tires have worn out. They got me where I needed to go but large acumulations and frequent snows have not been common lately in my area.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

To the OP: The Conti DWS are rated about the best ultra high performance all season tires out there for snow. That said, dedicated winters will always do better in the deeper amounts of 4" or more. Other considerations besides storage space, are either the hassle of changing tires twice a year (with the added risk of wheel damage) or the added cost of a second set of wheels. If you drive only on plowed roads and take it easy (quattro won't stop much quicker than two wheel drive), you should be fine with the Contis. Stay home if a NE nor'easter is forecast though.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Our dealer recommends the DWS tires as well (Cincinnati has moderate winters) -- but there is a new Michelin tire called the A/S 3 (I think) that doesn't offer quite the winter performance, but may offer better performance overall.

My choice for our 2014 SQ5 is the DWS (we have the 20" wheels).

My choice to replace the tires on my 2014 S4 WILL BE the DWS when the time comes.

FWIW.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Audi S4 All Season Tires