S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S-Tronic Owners: Gearbox Malfunction

Old 08-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-Tronic Owners: Gearbox Malfunction

Just to give you guys a little info if you encounter a gearbox malfunction notice. First off, my car was built in Oct '09 and has 14K miles on it. A couple of days ago I was pulling out of a parking lot and I hear a chime and get a "Gearbox malfunction, you can continue driving" notice in my display then it went away. It happened again about 4 hours later, but the car still felt normal.

I took my car to the dealer the next day and found out my transmission was overheating, causing the light. But the tech didn't understand why the transmission was overheating. Of course I was asked, do I have any mods on the car or was I driving the car very hard up and down mountain roads when I got the malfunction. I told them no and they sent the downloaded information to Audi. The next day I was told Audi recommended replacing the mechatronic since the car is still under warranty.

I currently live in Italy and was told it could take 3 weeks to get the part in. Needless to say I wont be driving the car much, even though there are no driveability issues.

Kudos to Audi for wanting to make things right the first time...that mechatronic costs 1100 euros. Hopefully the wait wont be so long. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

thaks for the heads up- sorry for the setback. Hopefully all turns out well.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

from what i have read about the stronic transmission it seems it will overheat at certain hill grades... being in italy u probably encounter a good amount of hills and if u are parking on some the oil may not be doing all its job and building in certain areas...
Old 08-24-2010, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLightning
from what i have read about the stronic transmission it seems it will overheat at certain hill grades... being in italy u probably encounter a good amount of hills and if u are parking on some the oil may not be doing all its job and building in certain areas...

I've driven my s-tronic on some of the steepest public roads anywhere in the country (Pikes Peak, Mt. Evans, I-70 W) at all speeds and in traffic jams and this simply isn't true.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for the heads up
Old 08-24-2010, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More reading for those interested:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-tronic-(DL501)

Gearbox protection functions

Control unit temperature monitoring
High temperatures have a negative impact on the useful life and performance of electronic components. Due to the integration of the gearbox control unit into the gearbox (lubricated by ATF), it is very important to monitor the temperature of the electronics and, accordingly, the ATF.

When the temperature reaches approx. 135 °C ( measured by one of the two temperature sensors in the gearbox control unit), the gearbox electronics must be protected against a further rise in temperature.

When this threshold value is exceeded, the gearbox control unit initiates a reduction in engine torque in order to reduce heat input. Up to a temperature of approx. 145 °C, engine torque can be reduced gradually until the engine is at idle.

When the engine is at idle, the clutches are open and there is no power transmission from the engine to the drive wheels.

When the protective function is activated, an entry is made in the fault memory and the following text message is displayed in the dash panel insert: "You can continue driving to a limited extent".
Old 08-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

haha Zed 2.0 just got PWND!!
Old 08-24-2010, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLightning
haha Zed 2.0 just got PWND!!

Sorry, I missed the pwnage. Could you maybe point it out? Or better yet, come up with anything to support your claim that driving up hills will overheat the transmission.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
Sorry, I missed the pwnage. Could you maybe point it out? Or better yet, come up with anything to support your claim that driving up hills will overheat the transmission.
Yea, I am missing this also. I drive uphills a lot, in stop and go, and have been in the car doinga steady roll up from sea level to 3800 ft over about 30 minutes and never had any issues. I think either the temp sensor is bad in this one or the oil is low for some reason.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive my cars hard, very hard and have never had any tranny issues on the S4 or my GTI DSG which has 152,000 kms

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S-Tronic Owners: Gearbox Malfunction