A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless entry and fingerprint not working

Old 06-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry and fingerprint not working

Hi Guys, new to the forum so please go gentle with me.

I am the very very proud owner of a 2003 A8 4.2L and I love this car. Everything about Audi scream quality. I do have 2 problems though, which are probably related to the same thing (you guys will know better than me) and I have search this forum and seen others with similar problems but not the same as mine as such!

I have 2 remote keys and the first key does not work at all (it will manually unlock/lock the car). If I put this key in the ignition, it will turn but nothing lights up? I used to have an A4 Quattro which I managed to reprogram another key but no luck with this key (I have put a brand new battery in).

Secondly, My keyless entry does not work and neither does my fingerprint reader. (It wont start anything. No lights come up on the dash with the first push down or the further push down).

I am hoping this is an easy fix, as I don't wish to take it to an Audi dealer (I am broke now after parting with the money for the car and paying for a service).

Would buying a VAG-COM be needed? If so, I can buy one of these (My laptop is Windows 7 though and I see on fleabay, only XP works). I am pretty confident on computers, so that would be ok or is there an easier/harder way.

Thanks in advance and any help is much appreciated.

All the best from England.

Greg.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Greg, welcome to the forum and the D3

The keys on these need to be programmed by Audi since they have to talk to the mothership in Germany via computer to do it.
Generally they charge an hour labour ($135 here) to do it, and recommend you take any/all keys to be done at one time.
New keys run about $150 USD each but hopefully you won't need a new one.

Keyless entry and fingerprint are something that VCDS (VAG-COM) could help you with for sure.
It's worth the money in the long run to save on labor and diagnostics even if you don't do a lot of your own work.

Genuine Ross-Tech VCDS will work on Windows 7.
The Bentley manual only works on XP or XP mode in newer windows versions.

In the interim you might find someone nearby who has VCDS and is willing to scan/reset the A8 for you.

Again, welcome to the forum and congrats on the A8 - you're going to fall in love with the vehicle !

-Jake
Old 06-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have ordered the VCDS lite (hope that is ok?) and will take the keys to an Audi dealer to sort out.

I love the car and always promised myself an upgrade after an idiot decided to write off my A4 whilst doing a U-Turn

Thanks again and some real good reading on these forums.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No worries, glad to help.

VCDS Lite is a good choice to get started without spending a bundle.
Ultimately I think you'll want the full version once you get the initial niggles sorted.

Sorry to hear about the A4 - seems most people these days shift from Park to Stupid....

Lots of excellent information here and super knowledgable folks.
Keep us posted and let us know if you have any questions.

Last edited by jakematic; 06-21-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good to know and once I get sorted for cash, I will invest in the full version.

It is great to see so many enthusiasts and pleased to help the noobs
Old 06-22-2012, 04:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry to be a pain but I have 2 new problems.

First is the nav dvd is asking to be inserted but when I try to do that, it will not let me (eject does nothing either).

Second is when I put a cd in the multi stack, it says CD is unreadable (also MD is unreadable).

Hopefully these are easy fixes as I would like to have music and navigation working

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default re: two problems

Originally Posted by Gregsta
Sorry to be a pain but I have 2 new problems.

First is the nav dvd is asking to be inserted but when I try to do that, it will not let me (eject does nothing either).

Second is when I put a cd in the multi stack, it says CD is unreadable (also MD is unreadable).

Hopefully these are easy fixes as I would like to have music and navigation working

Thanks in advance.
Typically, the DVD drive is locked to prevent the Nav CD from easily walking off. You can unlock it in VCDS (Vag-com).

Re: the unreadable CD, is the CD a purchased CD or one that you recorded on a computer? The CD players in early models tend to have problems with anything other than standard music CDs (and won't read MP3s on CD either).

Cheers!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply

The CD is a purchased one. It sounds like it is not being read correctly, so I will order a replacement off ebay.

I would like to add the MP3 (110) version but I don't know if this is possible, as I can't update the MMI currently until I get a replacement changer?

It would be great if somebody knows if I could add a mp3 version and then update the MMI please.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Many of us upgraded to the MP3 version a while back and it was plug and play from what I remember.

The only issue is when you swap some electronics they have Component Protection on them.
This helps avoid stolen parts being changed out, but you have to have the dealer remove CP...
Old 06-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
Many of us upgraded to the MP3 version a while back and it was plug and play from what I remember.

The only issue is when you swap some electronics they have Component Protection on them.
This helps avoid stolen parts being changed out, but you have to have the dealer remove CP...
Sounds simple enough. I will be going to the dealer to sort the key out so I might as well kill 2 birds with one stone .

I will be adding an AMI unit also at some stage but no rush and reading up, this seems simple enough.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyless entry and fingerprint not working