A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Replacing rear deck speakers with subwoofers HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear deck speakers with subwoofers HELP

I have blown my bose rear deck speakers in my 98 a4 and am looking to replace them. I found a set of 6.75 inch sub woofers that i can make fit, ( http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14424 ), but I am wondering do I need an extra amp and if i buy these can i connect them straight to the amp.

I also just like general ideas or tips or suggestions to my system. I have the bose system and i want to put some more base by replacing the rear deck speakers. Overall i just need some information about this all. Thanks guys
Old 06-22-2006, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Replacing rear deck speakers with subwoofers HELP

Honestly, if I were you i would get an amp, it can only help and won't hurt you, you would be amazed at how different it will sound. Most people mount there amps to the back of there back seats.......you can pull it right off the power from your back speakers, or you can run an RCA cable down from your deck, if you are using the ractory deck, you may need an adaptor (about 30 dollars) to run the cable down.......
Old 06-22-2006, 07:01 AM

Being completely new to this whole process, what do you mean pull it right off the power from the back speakers? if i get an amp how will i connect it to the bose headunit because i already have the factory installed bose amp.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Definately go with another amp...

The factory amp in the back runs more than just the 6.5" subwoofers in the back. It's actually a 6-channel amplifier that supplies juice to all of the speakers in your car.

Secondly, the signal that is currently going to your facotry 6.5" speakers is a 1ohm signal which you'll have to account for if you do choose to work with the factory amp.

I'd reccomend getting a second amplifier and running your 12 volt and tapping into the factory amplifier for on/off signal, and then using the factory wires to sub for your sound signal.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:05 AM

If i just wanted to put in the 6.75 inch subs that i had a link to above would i need the amp though? i mean because in the bass boominess faq where he replaces his rear deck subs he doesnt get a new amp, just splices the factory wires and connects them to the new speakers.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you CAN do it w/o another amp, just throwing up the information for you to decide.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:17 AM

Default Re: you CAN do it w/o another amp, just throwing up the information for you to decide.

so then what advantages to adding another amp to i have?
Old 06-22-2006, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

by replacing the speakers, you may get more bass and nicer sound, however, with an amp, you will get more power to your speakers, and you will get a much crisper cleaner sound, it will be like night and day, get an amp, it's worth it, and yes, you can pull your power right off your back speakers, i had 2 12 inch subs in my car, and i had a custom box in the trunk, what i did was pulled the power off the back speakers, so i ddin't have to run the RCA because it's a pain in the ***, i thought you were added subs earlier, and not subtracting any speakers, now that i know u are putting them in place of the speakers, you already have the power, you can just mount an amp, hook it up,a dn u're ready to go, the amp will need to be powered from the battery though
Old 06-22-2006, 09:35 AM

Default should i get a mono amp or a two channel or multi channel

and what are the differences in quality
Old 06-22-2006, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default a 2 channel would work

because you have 2 subs.......they are small subs too, so you won't need all that much watage, if you get a multi channel, u can hook more of your speakers up to it and not use the factory amp

Quick Reply: Replacing rear deck speakers with subwoofers HELP