S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Estoril Blue Nightmare

Old 12-16-2013, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Estoril Blue Nightmare

Never did I think that a simple color choice could have such a huge impact on car care. Having owned black cars before, I know full well the extra demand a dark colored car puts on detailing requirements, but never did I think that going with Estoril blue would take this need to ridiculous levels.

I haven't had my 2014 S4 for even 4 months yet I've had to have the paint detailed/corrected twice already-- once upon receipt to remove dealer swirls and have opti-coat applied, and a 2nd time after I made the mistake of taking it to a hand car wash where they applied a million fine scratches while drying. This doesn't even count the tons of minor buffing/polishing on isolated areas after performing my own washes with ONR and the softest micro-fiber towels.

Even breathing at this paint the wrong way makes it pick up fine scratches-- it's ridiculous.

My question is do others with this paint have so many problems, and is there some sort of recourse with Audi? Since Opti-coat hasn't prevented swirls/scratches, I am now considering getting at least the hood covered in a clear bra before it gets any worse (there are now some minor scratches that even the detailer can't get out without "going to town on it")
Old 12-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It has been a problem for others. I guess it really depends on how **** you are about fine scratches. I personally would find them hard to live with . Maybe you need to clear bra the entire car?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about it. I was planning to go with the same color on my next Audi, since Estoril Blue is my favorite color. But if others who have issues like yours, maybe I will reconsider. Is the color softer than others? I have owned many dark color cars over the years, and certainly understand that there will be additional detailing requirements. Maybe X-pel is the answer.
Hopefully other owners will chime in.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Research on this color has definitely revealed others with the same complaint, but there seems to be two schools of thought as to the origin of the problem. Some say it is a softer clear coat, needed because of the crystal effect paint, while others simply say that the crystal effect shows scratches that would normally be invisible on other color paints. I'm more inclined to believe the latter, as even minor dust on this color stands out. Either way, it's a total ****show and detailing nightmare. You can literally gently run a fingernail along the paint applying ZERO pressure and it will leave a scratch requiring buffing.

If it wasn't for the cost I would apply clear bra to the entire car, as keeping it scratch/swirl free is giving me an ulcer.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ycore
Research on this color has definitely revealed others with the same complaint, but there seems to be two schools of thought as to the origin of the problem. Some say it is a softer clear coat, needed because of the crystal effect paint, while others simply say that the crystal effect shows scratches that would normally be invisible on other color paints. I'm more inclined to believe the latter, as even minor dust on this color stands out. Either way, it's a total ****show and detailing nightmare. You can literally gently run a fingernail along the paint applying ZERO pressure and it will leave a scratch requiring buffing.

If it wasn't for the cost I would apply clear bra to the entire car, as keeping it scratch/swirl free is giving me an ulcer.
Wow, that really sux! I guess that if I go with the color, then it will be off to the X-pel installer right after taking delivery. Wonder if the owners of the Panther Black crystal effect are having the same issue.
There is a Estoril Blue S6 in my area, maybe he will chime in. I think his user name is Dr.Chill.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a thought. How about spaying a harder clear coat over the entire car? Not sure if it will help. Trying to think out of the box. Alternatively, perhaps a different paint protection product. 3 coats of Liquid Glass polish or multiple coats of Zaino?
Old 12-16-2013, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Here's a thought. How about spaying a harder clear coat over the entire car? Not sure if it will help. Trying to think out of the box. Alternatively, perhaps a different paint protection product. 3 coats of Liquid Glass polish or multiple coats of Zaino?
Opti-coat was supposedly the best thing I could coat the car with and it still scratches like crazy. I've decided the only way I'll be able to live in peace without constantly worrying/fussing over scratches and swirls is if I get a clear bra installed. All it takes is one accidental valet/dealer wash and I'm in for another $300 detail. I just got a quote for $1300 to do the whole hood and both fenders (seems like a lot..)--these are the two areas that catch the most light and show the most swirling.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I totally agree with you. Had I known the Estoril blue was this soft, I would not have ordered this color.

I've gone to ridiculous lengths to minimize scratches during washes.
I do my best NOT to touch the car unless there is a spot needing extra cleaning.

1) I start out using a foam gun to soap up the car. watch the video for details.

2) I then rinse the car fully removing the car wash soap.

3 & 4) I repeat step one and 2.

5) After the 2nd rinse, almost all the cr is totally clean. Down at the running boards, there can be heavy soils. I only hand wash these areas, and use a sheepskin washing mitt.

6) I have enough large microfiber towels that I can cover the entire surface of the car and lay the towels down and do NOT rub the car dry.

7) After letting the towels absorb the water, I take the towels off and set them aside.

8) At this point, I take out my MetroVac blower, and proceed to blow as much of the remaining water off the car as possible.

9) Areas under the mirrors and door handles tend to continue to drip water. For this, I pat the wet area with a microfiber cloth to suck up the water (DO NOT RUB with the cloth).

10) Last step I can again blow dry these areas.

The result is an almost touchless car wash process.
Below are links to Detailers Domain supplies I use.

Foam Gun
http://www.detailersdomain.com/Uber-...nt-_p_204.html

Mitt
http://www.detailersdomain.com/Uber-...poo_p_849.html

Drying Towels
http://www.detailersdomain.com/Uber-...ree_p_865.html

Metrovac dryer:
http://www.detailersdomain.com/Metro...-HP_p_643.html
Old 12-17-2013, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cyclezib
I totally agree with you. Had I known the Estoril blue was this soft, I would not have ordered this color.

I've gone to ridiculous lengths to minimize scratches during washes.
I do my best NOT to touch the car unless there is a spot needing extra cleaning.
Thanks for the info, and I certainly believe you've gone to great lengths to avoid scratches, as I am living through the same pain you are. I'll definitely look at getting the items you've mentioned, as I don't have a good water based wash routine down yet. So far I have been doing rinse free washes with Optimum No Rinse and good micro-fiber towels. To date that has prevented "owner inflicted" scratches and swirls.

Unfortunately though, no matter what your wash routine is, the car is going to pick up scratches outside of our control. All it takes is one standard car wash via some high end valet or the dealer to totally turn the finish to ****e. My girlfriend the other day laid a small paper bag with a few chocolate bars in it on the trunk lid, and I kid you not it left scratches that required a buffer to take out. Simply ridiculous.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I personally avoid touching my cars at all costs when washing them. The dealer also knows NOT to wash it, and puts a huge note to the service guys not to dare washing it.

As for my washing routine, I use a power washer with a soap tank to soap up the car, then rinse it off for at least 10 minutes, making sure I get everything off the car. I only ersort to spot-touching if the washer doesn't get something off. When I'm done, I just dry the car with my gas-powered leaf blower. Sure, my neighbors think I'm nuts, and sure the whole process is very noisy, but they can kiss my a$$ for all I care.

Touchless wash

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Estoril Blue Nightmare