Excessive oil consumption with 2.0T engine

Old 01-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Excessive oil consumption with 2.0T engine

Just recently Audi did a partial engine repair to our 2009 A4 2.0T due to excessive oil consumption at 24k miles. Our car was using oil at the rate of 500-600 miles per quart. As explained by our dealer, there was a bad batch of piston rings installed at the factory within a specific VIN range and our car happened to fall into that range. Of course the repair was done at no charge under warranty and after a few phone calls to Audi Customer Relations they have extended our warranty for an additional 2yrs/24k miles over and beyond the origial Audi warranty. This engine issue must be a big problem for Audi as the dealer service manager said we are the fourth car in as many weeks to have had the same engine rebuild for the same excessive oil consumption. Has anybody else experieinced this problem?
Old 02-13-2011, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default This problem is everywhere

Originally Posted by Wilmurt
Just recently Audi did a partial engine repair to our 2009 A4 2.0T due to excessive oil consumption at 24k miles. Our car was using oil at the rate of 500-600 miles per quart. As explained by our dealer, there was a bad batch of piston rings installed at the factory within a specific VIN range and our car happened to fall into that range. Of course the repair was done at no charge under warranty and after a few phone calls to Audi Customer Relations they have extended our warranty for an additional 2yrs/24k miles over and beyond the origial Audi warranty. This engine issue must be a big problem for Audi as the dealer service manager said we are the fourth car in as many weeks to have had the same engine rebuild for the same excessive oil consumption. Has anybody else experieinced this problem?
I'm on the fence about to trade in a 2006 A3 2.0T for a 2009 A4 2.0T - the thought was that the oil consumption issues I've been told are "normal" on my A3 were resolved in the later model years. But I guess not

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones who's oil consumption is so terrible that they are going to do something about it. My car is burning about a quart every 1200 mi and that's "normal". Now that I'm out of warranty of course, there's no hope in getting Audi to address the problem unless they do a full on recall. Given the number of 2.0T FSI engines out there, I doubt it...
Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have to say Audi USA stepped up to the plate big time with our 2.0T excessive oil issue and resolved everything to our satisfaction.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

64K miles on my 06 2.0T and no oil consumption issues to report. Car runs great.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

i bought a CPO 25000 miles on it Audi West Covina. oil was so low when i checked after 3 days. they said that they dont know where the oil went. they did the 25000 service to the car and i checked oil lever when i claimed it. car is now nearing 27000 miles. i think about a quart is gone. how do you tell if its a quart in the dip stick by the way? dealer told me thats normal. BS i owned BMWs and Mercedes. if this is the kind of car Audi makes it will be my first and last one.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2009 TT with 19000 miles - low oil light after 13k service - had to go to selling dealer for TSB 2015505/5, quote "We replaced it with the latest engineering version" - waiting to see if that is the fix

The other (nearer) dealer we approached just said 'that oil consumption is normal, bring it in and we'll top it up'............nice
Old 06-30-2011, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our 11 Q5 with 3k miles and the mmi oil level gauge shows down a bit...

not sure how to tell how much because it's just a bar without any gradients or numbers --- also, I've heard we don't have a dipstick
Old 07-08-2011, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update - Noticed two things about the oil gauge on the mmi...

Hadn't noticed that the gauge range was from Max down to Min...

and that it was not low on our trip to memphis this week....

maybe after full warmup it no longer measures low ?!?

just an fyi on our observation...
Old 07-10-2011, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had no idea Audi had this prob, good to know guys i'll have to keep a better eye on my 06 A4 2.0T. I'm a first time Audi owner anything else i should keep an eye on. Charles
Old 07-13-2011, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Many of their 2.0Ts consume oil, it's just a matter of how much. Audi told me that 1 quart per 1200 miles was "normal" and published as such by Audi. So I asked, "How many miles do I get between oil changes?".

They said, "about 5000".

I asked, "How many quarts does the engine hold?"

Dealer said, "about 5 quarts."

I said, "5000 miles divided by 1200 miles equals just over 4 quarts of oil consumed between oil changes. Should I come in with less than 1 quart of oil?"

Dealer had a blank look on their face and said, "No, you can bring it in to top-off when the oil light is on."

I said, "so you want me to come in every 1200 miles and get topped off until the oil change?" They said, yes if needed.

I jokingly stated, "well, I should never need an oil change since it's constantly being burned off." They weren't laughing.

Originally Posted by groundpounder
I had no idea Audi had this prob, good to know guys i'll have to keep a better eye on my 06 A4 2.0T. I'm a first time Audi owner anything else i should keep an eye on. Charles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption with 2.0T engine