A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Oil Level Sensor 1.8t

Old 02-28-2006, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Level Sensor 1.8t

Please Help !!
I have a 2002 (December) A4 1.8t. The problem I am having is that the 'oil sensor' warning on the display refuses to disapear despite replacing the oil level sensor. (This is the oil can symbol with words sensor next to it and is yellow not red)

The sensor is the type that bolts to the bottom of the sump. Yesterday I replaced the sensor and then had my local garage clear the fault code, this lasted about 20 seconds when the car was idling and the warning message came on again.

In an effort to rule out a faulty new sensor I have fitted another new sensor today but still the message appears.
I will only get chance to run another diagnostic check tomorrow to clear the message, but shouldn't it revert to 'OK' as soon as the faulty component is replaced or am I correct to assume that it will need the code clearing anyway?

If the fault appears again (which I suspect it will)I am at a loss. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(I have obviously checked the oil level and looked very closely at the wiring for any signs of damage and checked the relevany fuse).

Thanks....
Old 02-28-2006, 09:39 AM

Default Sounds like your sensor is not the problem, I'd guess wiring. It may not be the wiring...m...

near the sensor. It also could be the module to where the oil level is reported back, which may be the ECU, or the cluster, or another generic electrical module.

I didn't know we had an oil level sensor on the B6. Hmmm.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Joey T

Sludge. How often did you change the oil?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't think so.

the oil can and "sensor" means the oil sensor has dropped offline. IE rabbits ate through the wiring like has happened to me several times.

sludge would cause a pressure flag I'd think.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Joey T

Default The sludge buildup is keeping the oil from returning to the pan, thus setting off the oil level.

Rabbits eating is possible, there is a parts kit to shield the wires.

I stand by the original question. I am guessing average 7k between changes.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:36 AM

damn wabbits
Old 02-28-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Sludge. How often did you change the oil?

I am not clear on the frequency of oil changes but the history I have got indicates every 10K.
However, there is no indication of a build up around the sensor. I do know that the vehicle has always used fully synthetic oil.

I would also think that the oil message that would appear if their was a problemn with the oil returning to the pan would be 'Oil Min'?

(The sensor is not being set off as such).

BTW the car has covered 50,000 miles.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:02 PM

Default Re: I don't think so.

I agree with your theory. I believe a sludge problem would produce a pressure warning, or possibly a low oil level warning.
I have checked the wiring and shroud and there are no visible signs of damage.

(Fortunately their are no rabbits in my area!)
Old 02-28-2006, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Sounds like your sensor is not the problem, I'd guess wiring. It may not be the wiring...m...

I am tempted to agree with the wiring problem. Though I was hoping for an easier solution. I guess it could be an instrument malfunction or circuit board etc...

Any more thoughts before I head to the dealer prepared to pay a fortune?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default the sensor flag has nada to do with the level

it means the output is not there or below range. It's not slude dude.
Not every engine problem=sludge

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Level Sensor 1.8t