Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 vs BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 vs BMW X5

Have a Q7, thinking about trading it for a new 2014 X5.
I know this is a Audi forum, but you can still talk me out of it.
But I kinda like the X5 driving and tech vs my 2013 S-Line Q.
But I like the Q's outside style over the X's
So I'm back and forth as you can tell
Old 02-25-2014, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You like BMW's nav over Audi's google maps? Or are you using the offline nav? The nav system was one of the primary reasons I purchased a Q7 over the other options out there, but I'm using the online system. I love getting in the car and saying the name of the place I want to go instead of trying to fiddle with my phone for the address to then put into the nav only to go back to my phone anyway because the car's nav sucks.

Second thing that drives me crazy about the BMW is the stupid joystick gear selection. I put a watercraft in and out at a boat ramp and the BMW, being smarter than the driver and all, will not permit you to back up with the driver's door open; it happily puts itself back in park.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I compared the two over and over again before I settled on the Q7 so here were the things that made me lean to the Q7. but take it with a grain of salt as I was comparing 2011 models, maybe things have changed since then.

-X5 seats are quite firm, (too firm IMO)
- I agree with pdisme comment, the electronic gear selector is not necessary, nor do I see any benefit for having it. To me it made no sense that you have to move it get out of park, but then push a button to put it back into park. WHY!
- the weight of the steering wheel on the X5 was really nice at higher speeds but seemed to be more of a pain when driving at low speeds or around a parking lot.
- Q7 had way more cargo room than the X5
- The third row was much easier to access and allowed more space than the X5
- Also, I felt the X5 was very underpowered for its size unless you went with the V8.

my 2 cents.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The new X5 is totally new. The Nav has google search on it now like the Q7.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Check out the '14 RRS. I was in the market for another SUV, and sold on the RRS. The base V6SC is priced competitive with the Q7 and X5.

If Q7 and X5's your only choice. Then Q7, the 14 X5's design is getting uglier (IMHO). I really wish Audi would come out with the next-gen Q7 already, but from some of the rumors out there, redesigns and last minute changes does not bode well for the Audi brand.

I'm keeping the Q7 till the Model X's available next year. Unless Audi does come up with a newer Q7/Q8/Q9, would love the TFT cluster that's in the new TT to be in the Q7.

-ThinkMac-

Originally Posted by bothfly
Have a Q7, thinking about trading it for a new 2014 X5.
I know this is a Audi forum, but you can still talk me out of it.
But I kinda like the X5 driving and tech vs my 2013 S-Line Q.
But I like the Q's outside style over the X's
So I'm back and forth as you can tell
Old 02-28-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Have a 2011 X5D in the family thats been great, but after just getting a 2014 Q7 Sline Prestige with all the options including the wonderful Black Optic package I want my parents to replace the X5 with this car...its that much nicer.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I traded the Q7 for the X5 i35D.
Pretty loaded up X5 as was my Q7.
Sor far the X5's Tech is on par if not better than in the Q7.
The ride is a tad better but the Q7 driving and handling seems better. The Q drove more like a car, the X more like and SUV.
The Q is very large outside and somewhat inside as well.In my garage I'm quite surprised how much more room I now have with the X.
The Q7 was the worst with my 21 inch Titanium wheels and tons of break dust,in fact the Q was a dirt magnet. Wash it and rive it and its already dirtily. Brake dust road grime you name it. The X5 has almost no brake dust and since the wheels don't stick out so much the car isn't as dirty.
I can go on and on, but there was nada wrong with my Q7 except I wanted to pull my money out of it, I even looked at Leasing another Audi, but the BMW Lease program was way better vs Audi's.
Hope you guys enjoy your Audi's, they are my second fav car, at the moment.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What kind of mileage are you getting on the X5?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm getting in the mid 20's, only have about 200 miles on it though. It does seem like the Q7 was better, I mean I had the Diesel Q7 and the X5 is also Diesel, but once I filled up the Q7 the gas gauge would never move from full when you drove it, it was great.
One thing I LOVE on the X5 is there is NO Brake Dust, I mean Q7 go for a store run and wheels are trashed, X5 nada, and the X5's metal rims are way nicer than the Q's, and I even had the Titanium 21's, just didn't like the look and how dirty they got.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The X5 has a bigger displacement, makes sense that it uses more diesel.

Are they ceramic pads maybe?

Quick Reply: Q7 vs BMW X5