A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

How to get that showroom finish on a black car???

Old 01-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get that showroom finish on a black car???

Anybody have a suggestion for a great swirl/scratch removal product to make Black look new again?
Old 01-18-2010, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Check out P21S

You can dilute their Auto Wash for tough spots and spray it around wheel wells, grill and rockers. The Car Champoo they put out is decent too. You'll get excellent results if you follow with the Paint Cleanser and then their carnuba wax...best stuff I've used. Easy on, easy off too. Auto Wash is killer for the engine and engine bay too. Whatever you end up using, post some pics when done.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rgarretson
Anybody have a suggestion for a great swirl/scratch removal product to make Black look new again?

Well there are a lot of things you can do. Obviously, a good wash will help you out. However, if your car is scratched up, polish will be needed. Any more details on the car? Oxidation (little rust circles all over the place)?

I'd suggest reading up on some detailing websites (detailingbliss.com). If you really want to make your car look like new again, you'll need some supplies, time, and a 6 pack of beer.

I've bought a bunch of stuff through www.detailersdomain.com and never had an issue. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Check with Phil on the detailing forum. I use Swissvax Mystery to maintain my brilliant black (they also have cutting polishes and pads):

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=19395308

http://www.swissvax.com/

Last edited by ACSGP; 01-18-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

I have been very happy with the Zaino line of products, especially their polish that covers/reduces swirl marks on my dark blue car.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want to get rid of those swirls, which are really hairline scratches in the clear coat, you will need to give the car a good wash, then claybar the car to remove contaminants, and then attack the clearcoat with a buffer and a light cut polishing compound. After you remove enough of the clearcoat to get past the scratches then you buff it out with a protective sealing carnuba wax. Long process, and will give you that showroom fresh deep gloss untill you put anything abrasive on the paint again.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a black A6, and the swirls kill me....you need to polish them out with a Porter Cable 7424 using Menzerna's Super Intensive Polish and an Orange CCS Pad. I did loads of research on Autopia on how to do this correctly, and have now mastered black paint and swirl mark removal.

1.No need to clay the car, since the Menzerna will remove the oxidation.
2.Polish with Menzerna SIP and an Orange CCS pad. This will be enough for most people. If you want it even shinier and deeper black complete step 3.
3. Use Zaino's ZPC with a white CCS pad.
4.Complete car with a protective polish. I used Zaino's Z5, and then Z2.

The problem with black paint is that we must learn how to prevent the scratches and swirls. Merely washing the car can cause many disgusting swirls.

I have completed this procedure on 6 black cars successfully now, so I am a veteran. Cars completed include Honda Ridgeline, ML55, E63, Saleen Mustang, C6 A6, C5 Corvette.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

BTW Carnuba Wax is all natural, so it washes right off. Stick with the Zaino stuff....it's very easy to use, and protects the car longer than any other product on the market. TRUST ME, I've used them ALL!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I go to car shows I almost always ask how they keep their cars looking so great..you end up with a dozen answers but one thing they virtually all agreed on..with a dark car never ever use anything but brushless systems or better.. handwash. If your really a car nut and want some excellent help..check the wolf, many rodders use his stuff:
http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/index.html
Old 01-20-2010, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The swirl marks that show in certain light pain me to look at too. I've tried lots of products and techniques with no luck. I'm resigned to the fact that I best leave it to a professional detailer at this point. I never knew black could be this difficult to maintain, I thought it was just going to show dirt more and that was it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to get that showroom finish on a black car???