A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

need help asap. Timing belt job

Old 09-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help asap. Timing belt job

Hello, I'm 12 hours into my first timing belt job late on a Saturday night. 1998 A4 1.8L engine AEB. I just did the water pump and Therm and I'm putting the WP/PS belt back together and the new belt is very loose? So is the old belt and I can't figure out why. The site i'm following to do the job said it should be tight but mine has a good inch or two of play in it? the old and new belts are the same size and i don't recall when taking it apart how loose the old belt was?? any advise??
Old 09-14-2013, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jim4802
Hello, I'm 12 hours into my first timing belt job late on a Saturday night. 1998 A4 1.8L engine AEB. I just did the water pump and Therm and I'm putting the WP/PS belt back together and the new belt is very loose? So is the old belt and I can't figure out why. The site i'm following to do the job said it should be tight but mine has a good inch or two of play in it? the old and new belts are the same size and i don't recall when taking it apart how loose the old belt was?? any advise??
Are you talking about the 11 x 528 belt? The shortest one of the 3.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, Thats the size I have but it seems very loose. seems I could almost pull it off. I could text you some pics if your familar with how tight they should be?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, Thats the size I have but it seems very loose. seems I could almost pull it off. I could text you some pics if your familar with how tight they should be?
I just checked mine and it's fairly tight. I just put it on a few weks ago. I'm going to go take another look and see what I see. I'll be back shortly.

You did have to loosen the PS pump to get the old belt off right?

If not let it loose and then use a short lever to pull it tight.

Three bolts I believe. Probably 2 or 3 different heads too

Last edited by Huskerbob; 09-14-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
I just checked mine and it's fairly tight. I just put it on a few weks ago. I'm going to go take another look and see what I see. I'll be back shortly.

You did have to loosen the PS pump to get the old belt off right?

If not let it loose and then use a short lever to pull it tight.

Three bolts I believe. Probably 2 or 3 different heads too
I did not lossen the PS pump. I removed the front of the WP pully that splits in half with 3 6mm bolts. I dont see where the PS is adjustable? i have the front off the car and can see everything pretty clearly.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did not lossen the PS pump. I removed the front of the WP pully that splits in half with 3 6mm bolts. I dont see where the PS is adjustable? i have the front off the car and can see everything pretty clearly.
On mine there are 2 bolts on the top and one sort of behind. I had to loosen all 3. I do not recall splitting the WP pulley.

Just took another look and the 3rd bolt is behind the pulley. 2 on the top pivot points.

Last edited by Huskerbob; 09-14-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

On mine there are 2 bolts on the top and one sort of behind. I had to loosen all 3. I do not recall splitting the WP pulley.

Just took another look and the 3rd bolt is behind the pulley. 2 on the top pivot points.
Is your motor the 1.8L AEB?? i just cant see where the PS pump is adjustable? I see all the bolts clearly, but nothing to see how to make the belt tighter? I'll look around on the web some more. Please let me know your engine. much appreciated
Old 09-14-2013, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is your motor the 1.8L AEB?? i just cant see where the PS pump is adjustable? I see all the bolts clearly, but nothing to see how to make the belt tighter? I'll look around on the web some more. Please let me know your engine. much appreciated
Mine is an ATW. Can you snap a photo?
Old 09-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine is an ATW. Can you snap a photo?
the belt and the bolts holding the PS pump. The brace in the bottom is not adjustable. can u see the slack in that belt? I'm just not sure. Hope I can attach pics
Attached Images     
Old 09-15-2013, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

the belt and the bolts holding the PS pump. The brace in the bottom is not adjustable. can u see the slack in that belt? I'm just not sure. Hope I can attach pics
I see your answer over at audiforums.com evidently there is a spacer on one of the pulleys that if removed will draw that belt up tight. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help asap. Timing belt job