Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

What are these red lights in my tachometer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are these red lights in my tachometer?

There are more lights in the tachometer that light up when the car starts, but these are the only ones that stay lit. I cannot figure out what they are for.
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2012, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 480Tyler
There are more lights in the tachometer that light up when the car starts, but these are the only ones that stay lit. I cannot figure out what they are for.
That's the engine's RPM redline limit. Your gauge is showing 6200 RPMs as the limit. The RPM gauge, depending on what engine the car has, will have those segments light up to match the engine's redline, so no need for different gauge for different engines used.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are the Tachometer Red Zone, same as in any other car.

Here is a definition from Wikipedia:
"...On analogue tachometers, speeds above maximum safe operating speed are typically indicated by an area of the gauge marked in red, giving rise to the expression of "redlining" an engine — revving the engine up to the maximum safe limit. The red zone is superfluous on most modern cars, since their engines typically have a rev limiter which electronically limits engine speed to prevent damage. ..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachometer
Old 06-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by manishaudi
They are the Tachometer Red Zone, same as in any other car.

Here is a definition from Wikipedia:
"...On analogue tachometers, speeds above maximum safe operating speed are typically indicated by an area of the gauge marked in red, giving rise to the expression of "redlining" an engine — revving the engine up to the maximum safe limit. The red zone is superfluous on most modern cars, since their engines typically have a rev limiter which electronically limits engine speed to prevent damage. ..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachometer
I am use to having them painted on the Tachometer. Welcome to the digital age I guess. Kept starting at it wondering what the heck these lights were for.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the TDI, more glow when the motor is cold and then extinguish as the oil rises in temperature. Redline startS at 4,200 and when warm, 4,600. Pretty neat, but I doubt reving to 4,200 with cold oil is good for engine life.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think OP was referring to the smaller orange lights just inside the reducing redline lights. First time i saw those as well
Old 02-26-2014, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It shows you your redline in parallel to coolant temperature. If the car is cold its at a lower rpm (more red lights are shown). It will gradually move to where the redline is. I know this from my E60 M5 it was the same way.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vigoureux
It shows you your redline in parallel to coolant temperature. If the car is cold its at a lower rpm (more red lights are shown). It will gradually move to where the redline is. I know this from my E60 M5 it was the same way.
Yep, my X5M had the same thing.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm curious, but when tuned, do the lights change to reflect the new rev limiter, assuming that changes at all?

Quick Reply: What are these red lights in my tachometer?