S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Parking Brake Malfunction help...

Old 08-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Malfunction help...

Hello all, I have a 2011 S4 with only 2000 miles. Last night when I started the car, I got a warning message for "Parking Brake Malfunction" and at the same time the Air Bag light came on and the "Passenger Airbag Off" light came on too (this was with an adult passenger sitting in the passenger seat). I drove the car, everything seems fine. About an hour later, I started the car again, the same warning message/lights came on.

Now the weird part is today I started the car and drove to work, no messages/lights. Everything seems as normal as before last night.

So..anyone had this problem before? Should I still take it to the dealership and had it checked out?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ohh...just wanted to add that today I didn't have anyone in the passenger seat. That's the only difference from last night I think. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

call your dealer and report this.

Bruce
Old 08-24-2011, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Did you try to engage the parking brake? I had the same issue with my 2006 A6. The message would dissapear, but when i actualy try to engage the parking brake, i got the warning again. Took it to the dealer and they replaced faulty parking brate motor....
Old 08-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No I never touched the parking brake before this happened. Then when I saw the warning message I tried and was able to engage/disengage the parking brake with no problem.

I'll drive around some more (maybe also with a passenger again) and see if this problem reappears.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had something like that happen where I got the warning on screen and a loud beep/noise (lol I can't remember what). Was sitting at a light and wanted to engage it (car was in neutral) when it gave a warning. I turned the car off and restarted it and the parking brake worked fine. Scanned with VAGCOM and there was a fault code (it's somewhere on this forum). Cleared it and it hasn't come back yet.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's under warranty, so take it to the dealer so they can check. But if it happened only once, could just be a glitch when turning the ignition on. It happens.

Originally Posted by turr520
Hello all, I have a 2011 S4 with only 2000 miles. Last night when I started the car, I got a warning message for "Parking Brake Malfunction" and at the same time the Air Bag light came on and the "Passenger Airbag Off" light came on too (this was with an adult passenger sitting in the passenger seat). I drove the car, everything seems fine. About an hour later, I started the car again, the same warning message/lights came on.

Now the weird part is today I started the car and drove to work, no messages/lights. Everything seems as normal as before last night.

So..anyone had this problem before? Should I still take it to the dealership and had it checked out?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks all for your help. I did take it to the dealer. They gave me a Q5 2.0T as a loaner.

I took it in on Wednesday evening. Today (Friday) they told me they won't be able to check it out until Monday so I'm keeping the loaner for the weekend. It's probably not a big deal but I certainly didn't expect to be without my car for so long. :/
Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q5 - brake jammed on slope

I bought new 2011 Audi Q5 in Feb 2011. Last friday I parked it on a slope at the grocery shop's parking lot. After I put in reverse it starts to roll and the car lost barkes, Even if the geared were changed to park position the car kept rolling backwards and I hit the curb. Luckily no other car was involved and no one got hurt. But what if this happens again.
Did any one else experienced this?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

FYI about the EPB, if you don't use it for a long time, the warning will come on. Just use it one in awhile.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking Brake Malfunction help...