A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Heated seat question...

Old 12-15-2013, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated seat question...

Hello...I have a 2013 A7 Premium Plus. It has heated seats (front and back)and now in it's first winter, they are being used.

I've noticed that the drivers seat (when turned on) remains on even after stopping, shutting the car off and coming back to it. Later that day and even the next morning, when you start the car up, it's on. However, the others (if having been used) will be off and the passenger will have to turn it back on. No matter what, if any of the other 3 had been turned on, they will always reset themselves to off when the car has been turned off.

This might be the way it's designed, but seemed odd to me as no other car I've had (including Audi's) did this.

I have asked the dealer about it and they want me to bring it in and show them what's happening (which I will do when I get a chance), but wanted to ask others owners how theirs work.

Thanks...Mark
Old 12-16-2013, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mine work the same way, front and back (2014 Prestige). I just assumed that's how they were designed. Let me know if you find anything out.

One thing about my passenger seat, my wife says that it's not as hot as my old E-Class Mercedes, and my driver's seat gets WAY hotter than that car did. Wonder if there is a difference in the seat heaters from drivers to passengers?
Old 12-16-2013, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeselnik

This might be the way it's designed, but seemed odd to me as no other car I've had (including Audi's) did this.
All C7s work this way. Probably part of Audi's sometimes over-zealous goal for energy efficiency and automation. They figure the driver will always be present to notice if the seat heater is on but a passenger may no longer be and it would be running needlessly if the driver forgets to turn it off. Another possibility, unlike older Audi's, the seat heaters are programmed to self-adjust the amount of heat based on body feedback which might not regulate the temp properly if the seat is vacant. I agree it's annoying but it is what it is - another one of those endearing over-thought Audi engineering features.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have noticed that the Drivers seat will be on, based on the previous last used setting based on the key used.

So my wife uses medium heated seat (2 LEDs), and when she unlocks the car with her key, the car will revert to her setting (which includes side mirror setting and climate control)

For me, I some times use full heated seat (3 LEDs), and when I unlock the car with my key, the car remembers my settings.

i have noticed that the front passenger seat will turn on, if the car has been off for a short period or is someone is sitting in the seat before turning it on. But not 100% sure about the rule on the passenger seat.

Hope this helps
Old 12-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In addition to the driver seat heat level staying at the last setting after a re-start, the steering wheel heater stays on too if you didn't turn it off before shutting the engine off (at least mine does). Now if Audi or a VAG-Com genius would come up with a way for the climate control to stay at the last settings, I'd be content. I know, ticky-tacky stuff but come on, it's an A7.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks everyone for your responses...good to know that it's working the same as everyone else's (although a bit overdesigned, as the Germans tend to do...no offense to anyone). I'm glad it's not broken...again, thanks!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeselnik
Hello...I have a 2013 A7 Premium Plus. It has heated seats (front and back)and now in it's first winter, they are being used.

I've noticed that the drivers seat (when turned on) remains on even after stopping, shutting the car off and coming back to it. Later that day and even the next morning, when you start the car up, it's on. However, the others (if having been used) will be off and the passenger will have to turn it back on. No matter what, if any of the other 3 had been turned on, they will always reset themselves to off when the car has been turned off.

I have asked the dealer about it and they want me to bring it in and show them what's happening (which I will do when I get a chance), but wanted to ask others owners how theirs work.

Thanks...Mark
My 2012 A7 works the same way.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a related, but slightly different question, if I may

Is there any way we can turn on the heater seats, at least, before opening the car.

So the use case, which works well for BMW and other brands, is:
I am in my house, its cold,and I want to warm up my car before leaving the house. So I press a button (or sequence of buttons) to turn on the heated seats and so on?