Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Engine problem, what is my options?

Old 11-11-2013, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problem, what is my options?

If someone can tell me what are my options here.
I bought new 2013 Q5 around March 2013, originally assembled in Germany around February. It is Q5 2.0 quartto, before 5000 miles, there were two times oil consumption lights on, each time it is within 1800-2000 miles, very unusal. The dealer said it is still break-in period. Well, waited after 5000 mile service, soon the third time oil is completed consumed and lights on less than 1800 miles(total mileage is less than 6500), and this time they are serious to diagnostic the issue, and just few days ago, I send the car to the dealer as part of the monitoring procedure, they told me it fails the engine oil test, and the bad news is that they need to replace the whole engine, looks like the defunct engine problem. That worries me a lot. Think about this, have paid lots of money to buy a brand new car with a problem engine(only about 7500 miles), with the new engine repalcement, the car facts will have all these records for the car, the car value may significantly depreciate due to the replaced engine(not assembled in orignal manufacturer). I would say it will be very hard to resell in future. I am not sure what options I have here, any suggestions form anyone??? I am in Georgia, US, we do have lemon law here, but I don't know if it applies to this case.

Feel very frustrated now.

Thanks,
HT
Old 11-11-2013, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Your car will get a new engine and things will be fine. It is very rare that a new vehicle requires a new engine, but it does happen. If it was me, I'd be happy that the dealer diagnosed the issue quickly and prescribed a new engine. It's not like an accident which can hamper re-sale value. The car broke and it is being repaired.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Look into lemon laws. If it's at all possible for you to lemon the car, do it. Changing engines is major surgery with a lot of potential for collateral damage. Also, I think you're right about resale - people will stay away from a car with a replaced engine.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NABS4
Your car will get a new engine and things will be fine. It is very rare that a new vehicle requires a new engine, but it does happen. If it was me, I'd be happy that the dealer diagnosed the issue quickly and prescribed a new engine. It's not like an accident which can hamper re-sale value. The car broke and it is being repaired.
Thanks, the dealership here is very nice and helpful, I don't blame them at all. I do thank them for quick diagnostic. However I am not satisfied with the manufacture, especially this is critical component. Plus carfax will have all such records, I am pretty sure no one wants to buy a car with replaced engine, hard for me to resell in future. It is a pretty major work to replace the engine - 20 hours work, just like to touch many parts as if for an "accident" repair service. It's like that you got a new baby but 7 months later you have to replace his heart, you know how I feel.

HT
Old 11-11-2013, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I dont know if you would like to buy Audi in the future. But if you still choose Audi (I kind of doubt it though), you can trade-in the Q5 to Audi dealer at a good price since Audi diagnoses the problem and replaces the engine, they should not argue that it is a car with engine replacement history so they will lower the trade-in price---it is Audi's design problem, not your fault! It is still very rare, but I did hear some reports for 2.0t engine with oil consumption problem, I will also keep my eyes on the oil level since I just purchased a 2.0t Q5 2 weeks ago.

Even with the repalcement, it is still a very very low milage vehicle(omg it is less than 6500mi!!), you can trade-in at a good price and you dont need to worry the resale issue. At last, if you are scared of 2.0 engine, get a 3.0t engine Audi vehicle instead ? (I think most of 2.0t engine Audi should work pretty good, on the other hand, no one can guarantee other engines are perfect. As I said, this is very rare case..) Just my two cents, Wish you good luck man!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can also contact Audi and try to convince them to buy back the car from you because it is so seriously defective.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm not sure the "lemon law" but I would requested a new vehicle
Old 11-12-2013, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I consider a vehicle with a new factory replacement motor a positive selling point.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I was thinking too. Heck, I'd buy a couple cases of oil and run the s*&! out of the old motor and have it replaced later under warranty. But yeah, at the moment I'd be more pissed off than anything at my "premium brand" vehicle...
Old 11-12-2013, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brutus23079
That's what I was thinking too. Heck, I'd buy a couple cases of oil and run the s*&! out of the old motor and have it replaced later under warranty. But yeah, at the moment I'd be more pissed off than anything at my "premium brand" vehicle...
Same here. Not good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine problem, what is my options?