A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my decision on an 2011 A8

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my decision on an 2011 A8

Hi. I am looking seriously at a 2011 A8 4.2 Quattro. I have been offered good value on my trade and the "deal" is acceptable. I have performed loads of research on this car and two other models that I'm also considering. I want to "pull the trigger" on the Audi, but am hesitant because of some "consumer reviews" I've seen which, from a service/reliability stand point, were not good.

This car has factory warranty good until Jan 2015, has 26k miles, had it's 25k mile service, etc.

it has had six services since new:

1. Dec 2013 - 25k service, software update. steering felt heavy. replaced steering gear celenoid.
2. Jan 2014 - rear sunshade wouldn't go up. replaced sunshade. scanned for fault codes. leak detection for pump. software update. replace pressure switch.
3. 2012 5k service
4. aug 2012 8k software update
5. july 2013 inspect transmission - and replace ball joints
6. Jan 2013 - replace brake servo control unit.

This being an owners forums, I'm hoping some folks could chime in with their own experiences on their cars related to service and reliability.

thanks for any feedback/experiences you could share!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hmmmm....

I have a '12 4.2 and outside of regularly scheduled maintenance and an occasional free car wash it hasn't been near the dealership - as I would expect for a fairly new car.

'11 was the first year of the D4, so maybe there are teething issues that others are aware of. I have to say I'd be uncomfortable with a vehicle that had been in as often as yours....

However, I think the A8 is a great car (obviously!), may be worth trying to negotiate AudiCare / extended warranty into the purchase price and you'll get the dual satisfaction of having your dealer commit to it being a solid vehicle and having someone else pay for any ongoing maintenance...
Be sure to read the fine print on what is covered though.

John
Old 02-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just purchased a 2011 A8 and could not be more pleased with the car. I do know the person who owned the car before me, who was trading it in for his 4th A8, so I know its complete history. I also got the extended aftermarket warranty offered from the dealership and AudiCare, so I am not really concerned about any issues.

As far as I'm concerned, even if the car develops a few quirks, I am willing to forgive them because the car is pretty damn fantastic.

The only issues I have noticed are 1)how bad the stereo is, and 2)how bad Conti all season tires are. The tires are getting replaced tomorrow and I can live with the stereo.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot speak for the 2011 MY as I have the 2012MY. Bought it used with 21K and some change on the clock.

I have had my car now 7 months and put a little over 9K on her. In this time I had to take the car to the shop twice.

1. ~22K miles Nav not showing the proper location. Antenna was replaced.
2. ~29K miles Oil sensor showing too much oil. Sensor was replaced.

Both were covered under warranty. I have no complains with my car. It is a great running car to date.

As others have stated the '11MY was the first year for the D4 so I would expect some issues but nothing major.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my 2012 and haven't had any issues so far.

Any vehicle this complex is going to have problems here and there.
Hopefully everything major has already cropped up and been put to bed on the one you are looking at.

To echo others, I would negotiate AudiCare and extended warranty for added peace of mind.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

I have one of the early U.S. spec 2011's. The car was ordered in November 2010, built in late January 2011 and delivered in March 2011, so I've had it for just about 3-years at this point. It's been one of the best cars I've ever had (the best of my 3 A8Ls).

The only issues have been: re-alignment of the ACC cameras (1X); replacement of lower frame assembly that the driver's seat sits on (the seat pitched slightly to the left when making hard LH turns); and had to have the AC system re-charged after the cooling level was too warm (they never found anything wrong, but did re-charge the coolant---never had a similar AC problem after that). Other than these 3 repairs, just scheduled service and tire rotations. I really like the car and hope my next A8 will be at least as good/reliable.

derf
Old 02-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

After much research, I purchased my CPO 2011 A8L in December and love it. I almost bought a 550S and so glad that I got the Audi. Only issue I had was the navigation unit needed to be replaced but that was covered. The B&O stereo is awesome.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have one of the first A8 NWB delivered in New England (Thanksgiving weekend, 2010 - can that be already). Flawless. Haven't spent a penny on it (looking for some wood to knock on...)

My Nav got wonky last month, I just reset the MMI and all OK.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by longbow42
After much research, I purchased my CPO 2011 A8L in December and love it. I almost bought a 550S and so glad that I got the Audi. Only issue I had was the navigation unit needed to be replaced but that was covered. The B&O stereo is awesome.
Looks like I spoke to soon. My navigation is going crazy again. Has me driving in the Chesapeake Bay for the last 3 days.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by longbow42
Looks like I spoke to soon. My navigation is going crazy again. Has me driving in the Chesapeake Bay for the last 3 days.
ME TOO!! I posted the reply above yours at 2:56 and on my evening commute home from downtown Boston about at 5:45pm, my NAV had me 15 miles to the north and east. And resetting the MMI did not help!

Knock on wood? Too little, too late... UHOH

Edit: Next morning, all ok again. It fixed itself... befuddled. Mimi (my affectionate name for the girl in the NAV who gives me direction, much like my wife) was probably miffed with me for sharing with you all.

Last edited by doctorharrison; 02-28-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Help with my decision on an 2011 A8