A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2001 Audi A6 2.7L Biturbo Quattro.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Audi A6 2.7L Biturbo Quattro.

I want to upgrade this car. But idk what parts are recommended. Andi noticed that the turbos aren't Intercooled. So what's the easiest way to make sure they're not fried? And also there has to be a better way to idle them down then sitting In my car twiddling my thumbs for 5 minutes.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:56 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by pyrobionic
I want to upgrade this car.
Install a factory sport suspension and change the ATF.

Andi noticed that the turbos aren't Intercooled.
Yes they are.
You'd know if they were "fried". They aren't.

So what's the easiest way to make sure they're not fried?
No piercing dentist drill sound, massive smoke, and zero power? Mo problem.

And also there has to be a better way to idle them down then sitting In my car twiddling my thumbs for 5 minutes.
Take it easy the last five minutes of your drive. Make sure you are running good quality synthetic oil.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to upgrade this car. But idk what parts are recommended. Andi noticed that the turbos aren't Intercooled. So what's the easiest way to make sure they're not fried? And also there has to be a better way to idle them down then sitting In my car twiddling my thumbs for 5 minutes.
Did someone remove the intercoolers from your car?

Spend the next little while learning about your car, on this forum and other sources. Then you'll know what you want to do.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've never had a nice car like this its all new to me. Thanks for the Intel. And along with the suspension and ATF is there a way to make this car push a lot more horsepower?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

There is/are, but the transmission is the weak point. It won't last with much more horsepower/torque. You'll have problems with torque converter ballooning if not simple known problems such as lockup function going away, basket failure (internal part), and worn clutches, often before 100K miles.

The best thing you can do for your nice new car is keep it tuned and serviced right, that includes getting the ATF and ATF filter changed (make sure to clean the pan and put the magnets back right) correctly.

It's bad enough that the value of the car is close to the cost of maintenance, i.e., if you have to pay for a TB service or probably thermostat failure between TB jobs (even with a new one at the last TB job), but installing a factory sport suspension could be more expensive than simply going with adjustable coilovers and new springs and H&R sway bars and links and bushings, that can run you $700-800 plus labor installing it..can generally be done yourself. With the lowered suspension you need to be careful with alignment..get it right, get the negative camber minimized and toe-in right or you'll have excessive tire wear.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like you are "biting more than you can chew" at this point. No offense but, if you are saying turbos are not intercooled, I am inclined to think that you know very little about this car.

So, like any sound minded person would, try to learn as much about your car and its limitations. This is no hot rod and its aluminum block has its limits. Sure you can chip the car for few more horsepower etc. but like I said, you are trying to "bite more than you can chew".

Enjoy it stock for now, do maintenance properly (not just oil changes) and if you want a little more power, move up to higher octane gas. Seriously though, once this starts breaking down on you, it'll be quite frustrating!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by tester123
its aluminum block has its limits.
It's cast iron.
You are confused with the 4.2. ;-)
Old 01-10-2014, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
It's cast iron.
You are confused with the 4.2. ;-)
Well, I stand corrected. I only look through the grill of a 4.2, you see... .
Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pyro, don't listen to these "experts" giving you "advice" here. 4Driver4 is actually a Chechnyian chemist that lives in my basement and SLOOPB is my neighbors kid. I have several parts to recommend: My old oil pan lower portion $50 w/ gasket chunks, and the elusive 3rd T30 Bolt (previously lost) for the headlight mount that i stepped on last night whilst barefoot and now must die - $3 plus s/h, My old diverter valves (if you don't know what these are, YOU NEED THEM NOW - $450 (the others may say you don't need them, but they are just losing their cut of the pie when they do), and several hose clamps that I got from the russian mob for owing them a favor later - $FREE!!!!!!…. if you do me one favor.

To make sure Turbos are operable just have one more drink after your post here and go out on the nearest well lit road with a Walmart on it and drive with your lights off. A 4am police pursuit is how i grasped the handling characteristics of a stolen milk truck, so it should work for an Audi. But i have been wrong before.

Ok, enough. GIAC or APR offer software for your vehicles computer to raise your HP. When you blow her up, gimme a heads up on what appears intact as far as parts (human or car). You could search your local area on craigslist for VAG-COM or ROSS-TECH and see if any slack jawed-mouth-breathers near you could hook up their computer and go for a spin for data collection. I bet if you drop him off before the Walmart thing, he wouldn't charge you much, if anything.

I'll be awaiting your response on the parts for sale.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had a nice car like this its all new to me. Thanks for the Intel. And along with the suspension and ATF is there a way to make this car push a lot more horsepower?

How much money do you want to spend?

For decent gains, buy a tune for your car. The tune spins your turbos higher generating more boost. You gain about 60 HP an 80 lbs-ft of torque.

You can also build the car with bigger turbos and engine work to handle 700 HP at the wheels.

You'll need to convert the car to a manual transmission for that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Audi A6 2.7L Biturbo Quattro.