A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi Concert Stuck in Safe Mode--PLEASE HELP

Old 10-04-2009, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Concert Stuck in Safe Mode--PLEASE HELP

I have a 1998 Audi A4 and my battery died a couple weeks ago and I didn't have the code on my so I stupidly tried to recall it from head. I failed four times and now I can't get it to the point where I can enter a lock code at all...anyone have any advice?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Read the manual? If you leave it on I believe it will allow another try after an hour.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by David.Norton
Read the manual? If you leave it on I believe it will allow another try after an hour.
can anyone confirm?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default From Manual:

The following is the procedure to re-activate the radio if the display shows "SAFE". It is important that the procedure be followed in the correct order.

1. Turn on radio. The radio display shows "SAFE".
2. Press the FM2 and RDS buttons simultaneously and hold until "1000" shows on the display. Release the buttons. Do NOT press these buttons again, otherwise the radio will consider "1000" to be the code.
3. Use Preset buttons 1 ... 4 to enter the four-digit code number from your radio card. Preset button 1 corresponds to the first digit, Preset button 2 corresponds to the second digit, etc. Each press of the button increments the number by 1.
4. Once the code shown on the display is correct, press the FM2 and RDS buttons simultaneously and hold until the word "SAFE" appears in the display, then release the buttons.
5. The radio should unlock and be usable shortly afterwards.
6. If an incorrect code is entered, the word "SAFE" appears, first flashing and then continuously. You can repeat the above steps to unlock the radio once more, the number of attempts will be shown in the display. If an incorrect code is entered again, you radio will be locked for about one hour. After one hour - the radio must stay on and the key must remain in the ignition lock - if the display goes out, the you can repeat the above procedure to unlock again. The cycle - two attempts, one hour lock-up - still applies.
7. If you lose your radio code, contact your Audi dealer.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My dealer wanted $50 to get me the code. Very stupid.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dealer wanted same for me to get the code (and I had the radio pulled!). I ended up buying a new receiver.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

do any dealers give out the code for free?
Old 10-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Your car may reveal the code...

Look in the spare tire well in the trunk. The radio code may be written on the sticker placed on the outside wall of the well. My car has the code handwritten on the sticker. Check it out.

--Phil
Old 10-15-2009, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by philm35
Your car may reveal the code...

Look in the spare tire well in the trunk. The radio code may be written on the sticker placed on the outside wall of the well. My car has the code handwritten on the sticker. Check it out.

--Phil
i wish, no luck though
Old 11-02-2010, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default hi

i have a problem with my cd player.
i've just bought a cd player audi concert. i have the code to unlock, but when i try to enter it....on the display, the text "safe" appears. i tried the combination scan+rds but nothing happened could you please help me...
thanks in advance!
have a nice day!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Concert Stuck in Safe Mode--PLEASE HELP