A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Tire Recommendation

Old 01-28-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Recommendation

ALL

Seeking some recommendations on a got all season tire to use on a S6. I been looking on tire rack and reading the reviews but you know how that can be. Some give 5 stars on a tire then others will say its a piece of crap.

I live in Savannah GA so I am not too worried about snow unless I go venturing up north.

What are the other 2.7 S6 owners using and how do you like so far?

Thanks much.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

There's good and then good value…I like the Continental DW tires and they make an all season DWS.
Check tire rack.
S6 is a nice car..you want good tires, not necessarily michelin pilot cup sports but still.
I understand Michelin has a new all season 3 tire that tire rack said outperforms Conti's DW summer tire….

If you live in Savannah GA you only need summer tires, notwithstanding the latest blast of snow/ice coming your way or already there! If you're going to venture up North, you need winter tires, period.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

With snow being taken out of the picture, I'd recommend Goodyear Eagle GT's. Price for performance is definitely in the consumers favor. Incredible dry and wet grip. They have superior adhesion even in driving rainstorms, at least that has been my experience. I had a set on my Mustang GT that I sold last year, and I drove that car in a pretty "spirited" manner. Lots of winding mountain passes that I would push pretty hard. No squeals, no loss of grip, no getting loose, they simply stick. For my current A6, I run a set of Eagle GT's three seasons here in Colorado, and I have a set of dedicated snow tires for winter use.

I believe Goodyear claims there is a snow section/tread to the tire, but I don't see them as a viable snow option, not in Colorado snow anyway. For you, that would seem to be irrelevant. On top of that, they seem to go on sale at Sears with some frequency. I got my current set last year at a buy 3 get 1 "free" sale stacked with free mount/balance & some percent off total purchase stacked. I want to say out the door for 4 tires I was around $350 after tax and all discounts. Well worth the $350 in my opinion. Even regular price they are reasonable.

In regard to wear, I've not had a car long enough to fully run them out. Want to say I put about 20k on the Mustang with plenty of tread left. I probably have 10k on my Audi set and they still look deep.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Trick question?
2.7 S6?
Old 01-28-2014, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

A6 2.7T 2004

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Trick question?
2.7 S6?
Old 01-28-2014, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mahumujug
A6 2.7T 2004
So not an S6 then

Is this set of tires destined for year round use or are you running them just as "winter" tires?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does it really matter?

I mean there are two lil things on the passenger that says S6, at the end of the day its a 2.7

Originally Posted by mithrilG60
So not an S6 then

Is this set of tires destined for year round use or are you running them just as "winter" tires?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The badges on the side of your car are S-Line, which is a trim package, not S6. There is actually a pretty significant difference between an S-Line A6 and an S6; if nothing else one is a narrow body sedan w/ a V6 while the other is a heavier widebody avant w/ a V8. In context with your original question, the S6 uses a different tire size with a heavier load rating.

You never did say if these will be year round tires or just your winters.

Last edited by mithrilG60; 01-28-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Tires...

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
There's good and then good value…I like the Continental DW tires and they make an all season DWS.
Check tire rack.
S6 is a nice car..you want good tires, not necessarily michelin pilot cup sports but still.
I understand Michelin has a new all season 3 tire that tire rack said outperforms Conti's DW summer tire….

If you live in Savannah GA you only need summer tires, notwithstanding the latest blast of snow/ice coming your way or already there! If you're going to venture up North, you need winter tires, period.
By far my favorite tires I've ever had on my car (not the Audi) were my Falken Azenis RT-615K... Not sure if anyone has ever run these on the A6 but I loved them on my previous car. The only downside (aside from only being good in the dry or medium wet) was the low treadwear rating which wore quickly. Talk about sticky though. Never could break them lose around turns. I thought the car would probably flip before I slid.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2014, 05:58 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Does it really matter?
Depends on how much you care about the quality of the answers you get.

I mean there are two lil things on the passenger that says S6, at the end of the day its a 2.7
I stuck some A8 badging on the back of my Miata. It says 4.2 Quattro, but at the end of the day it's a 1.8.

;-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Recommendation