A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RADIATOR BELT FAN REPLACEMENT

Old 12-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RADIATOR BELT FAN REPLACEMENT

I found a piece on google about changing the belt fan with an electric one but can find a DIY. Can someone help?
Old 12-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can I link it to the other fan ? also what temp does the other come on? will I need to change the thermo switch?
Old 12-28-2013, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nickid
Can I link it to the other fan ? also what temp does the other come on? will I need to change the thermo switch?
In most normal conditions, the electric fan only runs when the AC is turned on...it's main purpose is to cool AC refrigerant, not radiator coolant.

It has another speed that will kick in (without AC) only if the coolant temp gets above normal. It has a 3rd (high) speed that will kick in if AC refrigerant reaches abnormally high pressure.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

will either put in a temp sender or run it on a switch
Old 12-30-2013, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

will either put in a temp sender or run it on a switch
Considering the specs on the thermal switch (lower right on radiator), the electric fan would likely behave differently with no belt driven fan in place. Although, at normal operating temp (90C), it only runs with AC on or higher than normal coolant temp, the 2 fan speeds triggered by that double thermal switch are rated at 85-87C and 93C for higher speed.

These signals are processed through the fan control module before being transferred to the fan itself and one might assume that the belt fan keeps that side of the radiator cool enough (at normal temp) to prevent the switch from triggering the electric fan...my electric fan NEVER runs at 88-92C with the AC off, but will cycle on (and higher speed) when idling in hot weather and reaching higher 90's on coolant temp.

P.S. Do NOT use the temp gauge to determine "normal" (90C) operating temp...it is designed by Audi to lie to you. The instrument cluster processor (or the gauge itself?) will cause this gauge to read a dead steady 90C (normal thick hash mark) when the actual coolant temp is 81-100C. Only code "102" on the climate control "secret codes" will give you the true temp reading >>>

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...5#post24093545

So, in theory, without "interference" from the belt fan, the OEM thermal switch might indeed trigger double fans at the correct coolant temps.

Last edited by silverd2; 12-30-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the info. now I need to try and fit it all ?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I haven't fitted the new electric fan yet, but have removed the belt fan and have been running the car while the weather is cold, and what a difference the cars response is without it.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't fitted the new electric fan yet, but have removed the belt fan and have been running the car while the weather is cold, and what a difference the cars response is without it.
Hi Nickid, I'll be watching to hear of your progress with this. Florida is a tad warmer than Ireland so I'd feel more comfortable with the fan engaging before the AC fan. Could be a good project/mod to do some day.

Eric
Old 01-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes mate you do have the better weather, but I would at least take off the fan at the big nut to try it.
Also I am adding a thermo switch to run the electric fan
Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why?

I have a difficult time with changing the design of what is (IMO) one of, if not, the best engineered piece of transportation on the planet.

If you are having to deal with overheating issues a aftermarket electric fan is questionable (IMO) and a wasted effort at an upgrade.

But it's your effort, so onward through the fog..
pc

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RADIATOR BELT FAN REPLACEMENT