S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anyone with brake warning light issues?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with brake warning light issues?

Last week while driving I got a flashing brake warning light. It went off after only a few seconds. The same thing happened again yesterday. Acccording to the manual there may be some major issue with my brakes, but that just makes no sense seeing as how my car is not raced, rarely driven and there is about a whopping 10k on the current pads. This was not a low pad warning indicator, it is the red brake light on the speedo that flashes momentarily. I have a 2000 S4 with under 67k. Anyone else ever have an issue with this before I take it in for diagnosis?
Old 07-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

when bleeding my brakes, it did that when the fluid got low and went away when i refiled it. Maybe your fluid is a little on the low side and you hit a bump, turned hard or something to move the fluid away from the sensor? Just check the fuid incase. Hopefully it will be that easy Or you can just throw money at it, that should fix it. Good luck
Old 07-27-2009, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^+1

The brake light will flash like that if you're nearly bottomed out on the fluid but there's just enough left to cover up the sensor - check that fluid level and you'll know right away if that is your problem.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check the fluid level, overfilling or underfill can be a problem. I had ghost brake warnings as well. Could also be a contact problem. My guess is that it is intermittent and will go away.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ive been having that problem for about a week or 2 now, and i have all new pads with plenty of life, i figured i got some paint on a the a sensor or somthing that might not have been taped well enough when i painted my calipers, but im gona check fluid when i get home now, but i had no problems prior to painting
Old 07-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the responses. Gonna check the fluids tomorrow am. Called my Audi tech and ran it by him, he said that its not uncommon for B5 A4 and S4's to have the ABS control module go and that may be it. A new module is $800!!! However, there is supposedly some places that will repair your old one and warranty their work. Anyone know of such a shop should I need it?
Old 07-31-2009, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Its not the ABS, you can get your ABS rebuilt for much less than $800 if you need it.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I checked my fluid levels and it is not a fluid issue. It was right on spot. How else can I rule out anything other than the module?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the light flashes does your ABS work when you slam hard on the brake pedal? I had exactly the same problem which turned out to be the ABS module. I found a place who reconditioned the unit for £100.00gbp It cured the problem. Good Luck mine got progressively worse until the light was flashing all the time which realy gets on your nerves and beeped everytime the ignition was turned on.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have yet to test it by panic breaking, but everything points to it being the module. I was able to find a couple places, thanks to the forum, that will rebuild my module and warranty their work. Thanks everybody for the help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone with brake warning light issues?