A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk open/close issue

Old 10-29-2013, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trunk open/close issue

My trunk doesnt open/close properly...i have searched this issue and i found people replacing their latch mechanisms, my problem is different though.

Basically, the trunk closes/opens (latches) just fine. My problem is the actual process of up and down movement. When i open the trunk with my hand, the motor turns on to lift it up but the trunk doesnt go up on its own UNTIL i manually lift it up about 12 inches, then the motor starts moving the trunk lid upwards

Same story for when i want to close it, i press the button to close the trunk and motor will start working but trunk wont move downward to close. I have to press the button, manually force the trunk downward about 15 inches and then the motor automatically closes it down.

It almost seems to me like maybe a shock on one side is defective ?

Has anybody had this problem or have any input?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

You need to adjust the hinges on the passenger side. There are 3 bolts, loosen all 3 bolts, the middle one is to lock the hinges in place. Rotate the hinge up or down a little with the middle bolt as center, tighten the middle bolt to lock the hinge in place then try to open or close. If your clutch is still good, at a right angle (position), the trunk will open, use the remote to see if it goes up or down automatically. Make sure the battery is good, it will drain your battery after a few tries. Measure the battery voltage to see if it's 12.5V or above.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 10-30-2013, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

thanks for the tip i will try it and let you know if this was the issue
Old 11-11-2013, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default trunk switch

Just wanted to give an update. I will be trying to loosen the 3 bolts soon. I wanted to get another issue straightened out prior to messing with that. It also has to do with the trunk. Basically when i got the car my gas cap release button was stuck and i could barely open the gas cap so i ordered another switch. Now the trunk release button did not work either but i thought it was the bad switch that was the problem...

so now i put in a new switch. Gas cap works perfect but the trunk release still doesn't open the trunk. WHAT GIVES?

Could it be related to the above mentioned power trunk problems i am having ? The only way i could open the trunk these days is with remote key. Sometimes physically also by puttin my hand under the trunk with all doors unlocked.

Any info is appreciated
Old 11-11-2013, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got mine back from the dealer fixing the issue it was under warranty but they replaced the struts, motor, and lid stops for a lovely total of 1057.05.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jetsfan101
so now i put in a new switch. Gas cap works perfect but the trunk release still doesn't open the trunk. WHAT GIVES?

Could it be related to the above mentioned power trunk problems i am having ? The only way i could open the trunk these days is with remote key. Sometimes physically also by puttin my hand under the trunk with all doors unlocked.
If it works "manually" it should work by pressing button on the drivers door. It utilizes same actuator. It must be something wrong with the wiring, or may be that controller.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Petah Shillingford
I just got mine back from the dealer fixing the issue it was under warranty but they replaced the struts, motor, and lid stops for a lovely total of 1057.05.
the stealership will replace all they can imagine

i found this link regarding the motor i may try to remove it just to see if trunk release button will work

Old 11-12-2013, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That video is member "ltooz_a6_a8_q7" Louis, by the way were as he been? Maybe on vacation, LOL . Do you still have your switch. I'm looking for one if you want to sell it cheap. Mine seem to be fading a bit.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jetsfan101
i found this link regarding the motor i may try to remove it just to see if trunk release button will work
It is easier just to unplug it. Why do you thing it could help?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
It is easier just to unplug it. Why do you thing it could help?
process of elimination. trying to figure out why trunk release button doesn't work. It is unlikely that the erratic motor behavior is tied in with trunk release non functionality but its a shot in the dark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trunk open/close issue