TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Reprogramming key fob after battery replacement

Old 04-02-2008, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reprogramming key fob after battery replacement

After I had my car battery replaced yesterday, my remote entry key no longer works. I understand that there are ways of reprogramming the key using the second key or the valet key. Unfortunately I lost my second key and did not receive a valet key. Am I out of luck? What is the best way to resolve this situation?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Reprogramming key fob after battery replacement

Also, AAA replaced the battery in the car. Does anyone know if AAA will cover the expense associated with reprogramming the key?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weird, I just replaced the battery in mine and did not have to reprogram anything.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had to reprogram mine and my batteries were fine. It's an Audi.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I had to reprogram mine and my batteries were fine. It's an Audi.

1# you take one key put into ignition turn on.

2# close door, lock it with the key hole on driver side,with the key you want to program.

3#once it's lock take the key of the door out press the open button once or 2 or 3 or 4 times depending on which key is being reprogrammed(for the seats memory)you will see your side blink every time you press ,wait 6 secs press again once.take the other key in ignition out.

close the door and try locking with the reprogrammed key.

if you lost the program on other key it's just you didn't select the right memory,so set the right number for the right key
Ex:my wife is 1# in memory seat,mine is 2#.
so i had to press twice in 3# step.
The following 2 users liked this post by newfinish:
F1TT (01-05-2022), hrw (05-24-2023)
Old 03-07-2012, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Guys this definately work. I had to replace the battery on my key fob and realised it wasn't woking and had to re-synchronise the key fob.

My other spare key fob that I didn't use for about a year because the battery in that died. When I installed fresh battries it also didn't work. I tried this procedure and now I have once again 2 working remote key fob.

Initially I thought I had to pay Audi to re-code my keys! If I did, it will cost me an arm and leg!

Thanks for your post 'newfinish'.
Originally Posted by newfinish
1# you take one key put into ignition turn on.

2# close door, lock it with the key hole on driver side,with the key you want to program.

3#once it's lock take the key of the door out press the open button once or 2 or 3 or 4 times depending on which key is being reprogrammed(for the seats memory)you will see your side blink every time you press ,wait 6 secs press again once.take the other key in ignition out.

if you lost the program on other key it's just you didn't select the right memory,so set the right number for the right key
Ex:my wife is 1# in memory seat,mine is 2#.
so i had to press twice in 3# step.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reprogramming fob with single key

Originally Posted by jackal73
After I had my car battery replaced yesterday, my remote entry key no longer works. I understand that there are ways of reprogramming the key using the second key or the valet key. Unfortunately I lost my second key and did not receive a valet key. Am I out of luck? What is the best way to resolve this situation?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, you can reprogram an fob with a single key...don't exactly know how...but read on:

I had researched the same thing after purchasing a new fob cover. The remote would not work and, as you can guess, I found out about the programming after the fact. I too only have a single key that came with the car when I bought it a week ago.

I ran across a post by a guy saying he had been working on his window with the door panel off and, while doing so, his remote started to work.

I went out to the car, put the key in the drivers side door, turned it like I was unlocking it, pushed the unlock/lock buttons ... (in what order I do not know...hence the "don't exactly know how")...and the lock clicked...the remote worked fine after that.

Good Luck...at least there is hope :-)
The following users liked this post:
Korychristopher (10-19-2021)
Old 09-01-2012, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Single-key reprogramming

There's a procedure in the manual for this, page 61. Well, it's not exactly reprogramming, it's more like re-Synchronizing. Due to the rolling code mechanism, if you press a button too many times while you're out of range, you lose sync with the vehicle. To reset this, they advise a 2-step procedure.

1. Press either LOCK or UNLOCK on the keyfob *one* time only.
2. Within 60 secs, use the key to manually lock or unlock the driver's door.

The keyfob should work again. (I've done it after my fob no longer worked after battery replacement, it works.)

On the multi-key programming procedure above, it DOES work, so thanks! Interesting note: the key that's *in the ignition* for that procedure does NOT need to have a valid immobilizer transponder chip; the car apparently doesn't check for that before allowing additional fobs to be registered. Also, the procedure worked even when *none* of my fobs were workable, even after trying the page 61 procedure spelled out above.

So, once again, Thanks!

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze42
Yes, you can reprogram an fob with a single key...don't exactly know how...but read on:

I had researched the same thing after purchasing a new fob cover. The remote would not work and, as you can guess, I found out about the programming after the fact. I too only have a single key that came with the car when I bought it a week ago.

I ran across a post by a guy saying he had been working on his window with the door panel off and, while doing so, his remote started to work.

I went out to the car, put the key in the drivers side door, turned it like I was unlocking it, pushed the unlock/lock buttons ... (in what order I do not know...hence the "don't exactly know how")...and the lock clicked...the remote worked fine after that.

Good Luck...at least there is hope :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by avrguru:
infieldg@gmail.com (02-12-2020), Tammy Kurdyla (11-07-2019)
Old 05-30-2013, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by newfinish
Door is still closed. Missing something?
Or is "unlock" instead close?
Old 06-03-2013, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vtraudt
Door is still closed. Missing something?
Or is "unlock" instead close?
your doing this all the time outside the car so yes you have to open the door to get out the key you have in the ignition.to then close the door to try and lock it with the button on the key you had in your hands that needed programming.
The following users liked this post:
27 card (08-05-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reprogramming key fob after battery replacement