S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

REVO ECU for b8 s4

Old 01-18-2012, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REVO ECU for b8 s4

Has anyone had any experience with this ECU upgrade as of yet? The numbers look pretty impressive for just an ECU upgrade (no pulley). 384hp at the wheels...I'm definitely tempted and was wondering if anyone had advice or experience with Revo?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Banned

lol

One guy dyno'd HIS DAD'S car with a REVO tune and it got 384 whp on a dyno that constantly reads way higher than just about any other dyno on earth. (yes, that's auditurd2.0T's dad's B8 S4...and he pretends its his just like he used to pretend his dad's RS4 was his...and used to lie about quarter mile results achieved with that car etc.) He is also one of the least respected, most-likely-to-lie scammers on these here Audi forums.

Take the 384 whp number and throw it out. Wait for about 10 different dyno numbers (if you really must base a decision on dyno numbers, even though you're going to drive your car on the road/track/strip, not the dyno) and then get a feel for the peak whp, peak wtq, curve and overall delta vs. stock on that same car same dyno...and then get excited.

Until then, it's just a bunch of noise and marketing.

REVO has developed a tune, no hardware (and won't), and a lot of internet arguments. Their 384 whp poster boy is a lying scumbag who was laughed out of every forum he has posted on for cheating, lying and basically being an all around low quality individual who nobody trusts anything that comes out of his mouth. I'm sure REVO are nice guys, even though the company was started when a couple of guys bolted their APR jobs with APR's computers and trade secrets to start REVO. I'm also sure their tune will be decent, but they're not putting another penny into your car...so you're just kind of giving them your money, rather than investing in the devlopement of your platform.

GIAC has developed half of a tune, no hardware (and won't). Their poster boy is another lying scammer who was laughed out of the RS4 forum when caught lying about the capabilities of his VF supercharger, tuned by GIAC. Turns out he was a compensated under the table spokesman for VF, used in guerrilla marketing to pretend to just be a happy customer to promote the **** kit. He is also a GIAC dealer. Starting to make sense yet?

APR has been hitting it out of the park with this car for over a year. They are investing in your platform, and have developed good software that WORKS, an exhaust, a pulley, a pulley tune, a cooling system upgrade, an intake, and are hoping to give you a stage III supercharger upgrade of some sorts.

Why people would want to abandon the one company who is supporting your platform in favour of a REVO dyno from a notorious douchebag is beyond me.

OP - you may not have known all this, so I don't want you to think I'm yelling at you. I just get tired of watching people get misled and sold hype without seeing the bigger picture. For the record, I'm also an 'APR hater' according to many on this site, so if I'm recommend you give APR your money, despite earning that moniker, that should tell you it's a pretty frigging clear recommendation.

Last edited by sakimano; 01-18-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice to see an unbiased post. I personally don't know anything about the individuals who ACTUALLY HAD THEIR CARS DYNOED. BUT AWE did them all on the same day with the same dyno. Since AWE has no tune of their own, I doubt that there was any monkey business going on. But the results showed the Reo performed very well especially against the APR stage 1 and 2 cars that were there http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...evo-S1-numbers. Granted there was a small sampling of cars and tunes. But Its all that is really out there at this time. BTW, I have no tune on my car and am not likey to get one. Just interpreting the data as produced by the cars that were at the AWE dyno day,
Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

The stage II car there (socfan12) is having misfire issues and spitting out error codes (in a few cylinders) that is in the process of getting diagnosed (looking like the injectors are having an issue). Just in the interest of full disclosure.

Last edited by PsYkHoTiK; 01-18-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

ye AWE dyno day had some people upset.... APR 2.0 software didnt put down what was expected even with all APR upgrades but Arin and the guys at APR already are looking into it. REVO car seemed to fair well too. No GIAC cars from what I heard
Old 01-19-2012, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi All,

Old but new member here (used to have a modded B5 S4 when living in Australia and now getting around in a 650hp 07 Sti in Singapore).

About to buy a daily driver (B8 S4) and wondering if anyone can tell me how easy it is for a custom tune on these cars?

Reason I ask is because I intend on running methanol injection along with the pulley and tune upgrade, obviously the tunes from APR won't handle such a system..

Cheers
Rob
Old 01-19-2012, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rmonckton
Hi All,

Old but new member here (used to have a modded B5 S4 when living in Australia and now getting around in a 650hp 07 Sti in Singapore).

About to buy a daily driver (B8 S4) and wondering if anyone can tell me how easy it is for a custom tune on these cars?

Reason I ask is because I intend on running methanol injection along with the pulley and tune upgrade, obviously the tunes from APR won't handle such a system..

Cheers
Rob
It almost will not happen Rob. The new Simos8 is a hell of a ECU to crack into, so few have been able to actually do it, that you would need to approach someone like APR and pay for a custom tune. It will likely be a few more years before knowing the in's and out's of this ECU becomes more common knowledge and tools are out to let more people try their hand at things.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just had Revo installed from a local tuner shop on our 09 A4 2.0T and yes I know this is the S4 forum. I decided on Revo after looking at a few. I had Stasis on our 2010 A6 3.0, which was ok and I had Neuspeed back in 2003on an A4 1.8.

My suggestion is do your homework and decide what you want. Everyone has an opinion and unfortunately some opinions here arent based on personal experience but may be based on a direct relationship with one of the suppliers or possibly they got a deal.

What I did was specifically ask this tuner shop, what I should expect from Revo's tune. Even though it stated approx 35 to 60 on Revo's website, I realize there are a lot of factors that make up those numbers. Octane, add ons, etc. These tuner shops usually work with several tuner suppliers, Revo, APR, etc so if you have one you trust, you'll get a better idea from them.

The shop told me to expect between 20 to 25 with 91 Octane, obviously higher if I use Octane booster or put in 99 Octane. So 20 to 25 HP is pretty good considering the cost was 499 including the ECU dock that allows me to reset to stock. The best part is it was local, took one hour and now the car feels like it should. Not overly aggressive to the point I need to worry about something breaking but just enough to have fun and enjoy it more than stock.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
It almost will not happen Rob. The new Simos8 is a hell of a ECU to crack into, so few have been able to actually do it, that you would need to approach someone like APR and pay for a custom tune. It will likely be a few more years before knowing the in's and out's of this ECU becomes more common knowledge and tools are out to let more people try their hand at things.
custom tuning is a waste of money at this level. You guys have very simple bolt on parts. No need. The ECU is tough to crack, but it is very smart also, and will adapt quite nicely with these simple mods.

as for tuning your own ECU, that will maybe come eventually. Even then, I wouldn't do it. I know some people in B5 land swear by it, and its fun...but those aren't the fastest cars out there so what's the point really (other than fun). Hell some people swear by fixing their own teeth too without creditation. Doesn't make it right.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have had the Revo tune on my 12 s4 since the beginning of the year. I chose it because i live about 15 min from KMD tuning in NJ. I actually called to ask a few questions and they said they could fit me in that day(could not refuse). The tune is great. This is my first Audi and it felt like something was missing untill the tune. I have not had any experiance with the APR tune so cant compare. i just know the tune has put a smile on my face and gotten rid of ANY remorse i had for selling my SRT8.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: REVO ECU for b8 s4