Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Strange question: Q5 VS. Ford Edge Sport

Old 09-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange question: Q5 VS. Ford Edge Sport

I have been looking at the 2011 2.0 Q5, and someone suggested I look at the 2011 Ford Edge Sport edition. The Q5 is definitely perceived as being more prestigious and exclusive, though I was very impressed with the level of features that the Edge came with for a few thousand less, and am just curious to hear what you guys think.

- The level of technology in the Edge blows EVERY car I have see away (not just Audi)
- It has 320 HP
- It has the panorama roof
- It is priced at about $39k

1.) I can not tell how the quality of the build, the materials of the seats and dashboard, etc. compare, any thoughts on this?

2. I have test driven both, I do not have a performance driving background, just curious to hear what you guys think between the things that affect the performance of both of these cars besides just the horsepower.

Thanks for any insight!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:00 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

I cannot comment on the Ford, I have never owned one and I am an Audi/VW enthusiast, but here are some reasons that I chose the Audi over the Mercedes GLK and Volvo XC60:
- Award winning body design, construction and safety
- Low center of gravity due to ingenious weight distribution
- Many aluminum parts - body, suspension and drive train (Audi is the industry leader in Aluminum automobile construction)
- Legendary quattro all wheel drive - a step above the rest
- Absolute driving pleasure: handles like a sports car!
- Solid "feel" of the car
- Very comfortable seats - no fatigue even with long trips
- Impeccable finishing

Good luck with your decision!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

test drive both then come back here and write a review. The Q5 is so much better in every way. I totally disagree with your statement of Ford having more technology...
Old 09-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Microsoft Sync Tech is pretty sweet. But what can I say... I picked the Q5.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't tried Sync yet but I have to agree from what I've heard and seen it blows anything anyone has away. Maybe Audi has more technology built into the car but from a user interface standpoint I don't think they beat Sync.

I have to hand it to Ford they figured something out that no other car maker seems to have done. The Audi MMI is sweet but basically its a closed box that doesn't get updated which is how every other brand does it as well. In other words you better love the features and not want more or you'll need to change cars. Ford on the hand has realized what software companies have known for years, if you provide regular updates you keep people excited about your product and stop them from looking around at others.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A co-worker of my drives a Ford Edge, not the sport. Most Ford now a days have a lot of tech, but then, so does Acura and a few other brands. Personally, I dont really care for all the toys in a car, its the driving experience that really matters to me. If you compare the Q5 to the to the Edge, almost every component is higher quality in the Audi. The Ford Edge so way too ugly for my liking, the 1st word that came out of my month when I saw his Edge was, "you paid $40000 for that thing?"
Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fwiw to those talking about their edge experiences the 2011 edge can not be compared to any previous versions (<=2010) in regards to in-cabin technology. The new mytouch and latest sync really are a generation ahead.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

+1 on Sync. It is very cool technology.

However, for me.. the Name and the symbol up front matters.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who cares if Edge haves 320 HP when it is based on front wheel drive and rear comes along when rotation difference is detected.

It does not use Haldex so it does not have clamping capabilities to convey true 50/50 power distribution nor have structural design to make rear biased power like 40/60 and so on.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
test drive both then come back here and write a review. The Q5 is so much better in every way. I totally disagree with your statement of Ford having more technology...

I know nothing about what is under the hood or driving performance (that is why I posted here to get some feedback from you guys), though I can say with certainty that the technology in the Ford is amazing. I'm not necessarily going to use all of these features, though the attention to detail that Ford put into this is really nice:
- it reads your texts to you
- you can speak your texts to it
- it shows pics of person calling you
- you can plug a video camera into it to watch videos on the nav screen or a SD card to play pics (maybe if you are on a trip)
- you can customize the image that displays on the home screen
- it displays and speaks to you sports scores, movie times, gas prices, stock prices, news
- can use the car as a wifi hub for people in car with laptops

Thanks guys!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange question: Q5 VS. Ford Edge Sport