A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Does anybody else hate their rain sensing wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anybody else hate their rain sensing wipers?

This is the first time I've had a vehicle with them, and I'd give anything to get rid of them. On any setting it seems like they only wipe when they feel like it. It goes from slow to slower to slowest. Just tonight on my way home, I was driving behind someone (road all wet - misting on windshield), and they decided to shut off!!! Maybe it's a bad sensor, but if this is all the better they work, I sure want to get rid of them!!!

I'll ask if there's anything that can be done at the 5k checkup.

Kerry
Old 05-26-2009, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think yours need to be adjusted. Because they can keep up fine for me in the 2nd lowest setting, and pretty much keep sweeping @ max speed at anything higher.

I leave mine on the lowest frequency (or sensitivity?) setting because the wipers will turn on for the smallest rain drop and drag across an otherwise dry windshield (smearing bugs and scratching the glass). However, when it's actually raining, I find the 2nd lowest setting more appropriate, so my complaint is that I want an Early/Medium/Late adjustment, like the Auto Headlights have in MMI.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine frustrate me too. At the highest frequency setting they still don't wipe frequently enough. I'd rather be in control of the interval rather than have the sensor decide for me. As a result I find myself pulling on the stalk for a sec to activate the squirt/two wipe function too much. I was going to inquire at the 5K checkup if they could either adjust the sensor or deactivate it. Maybe I can place a piece of tape over the sensor, or squash a big bug over it?

The rain sensing feature did lead to some surprise hilarity though. I had left it on rain sensing mode during a dry day. Since it was not raining, the wipers did not move. However, when I was at the gas station and ran the squeegee over the glass the wipers came on and startled me. "Hey, what the...!!!"
Old 05-26-2009, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

on my wife's volvo, I was able to disable the auto wipers by popping off the cover behind the rear view mirror and disconnecting a plug. Then the sensitivity control reverts back to a time lapse control, it's perfect and I control it.

I had the exact same problem with the volvo, could never get it to sweep when I wanted it to sweep.

Maybe there's a way to disarm the audi one?

JF
Old 05-27-2009, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kerrydel1
This is the first time I've had a vehicle with them, and I'd give anything to get rid of them. On any setting it seems like they only wipe when they feel like it. It goes from slow to slower to slowest. Just tonight on my way home, I was driving behind someone (road all wet - misting on windshield), and they decided to shut off!!! Maybe it's a bad sensor, but if this is all the better they work, I sure want to get rid of them!!!

I'll ask if there's anything that can be done at the 5k checkup.

Kerry
Have them check the sensor. Could be something wrong. I find mine to be surprisingly convenient. Maybe there's just something wrong that can be adjusted. Definitely wouldn't hurt to have them check it @the 5K.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Really? I have them on my B7 A4 and they work brilliantly. Granted I occasionally have to adjust the intermitent speed but other than that they are spot on.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hmm... I'm not sure what intermittent setting I have them on, but I find mind to be very convenient, and seem to keep up with the water just fine.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course "they work fine" is based upon a subjective evaluation of what "fine" means. Some people can tolerate having more raindrops on the windshield before feeling as if they need the wiper to do its thing. Chances are all of our sensors are functioning exactly the same, but we have different personal thresholds as to when we want a windshield wipe.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I thought that this feature was going to be useless and a PITA but it turns out that it's pretty nice. I wouldn't pay for that though.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I havent had any real issues with it. Once in a while they wipe due to a dusty windshield, but otherwise i like them.

Quick Reply: Does anybody else hate their rain sensing wipers?