Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Slave cylinder tube hose line

Old 11-20-2012, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slave cylinder tube hose line

Anyone have a write up or know the procedure to change the slave cylinder hose line part # 4a0721465b . Don't have my brother or friend, who were my mechanics, to help me anymore. If anyone has a used one that would be helpful as well because a new one runs around $150

Thanks
Old 11-20-2012, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Look for a means to stop the gravity flow of brake fluid from the brake reservoir above the brake master cylinder. It feeds the clutch master cylinder attached to the clutch pedal by a gravity line. The clutch master cylinder is attached to the clutch slave cylinder by tubing and the hose/tubing you need to change. A drip pan under the connection at the frame rail is advisable also. It is easiest to access this connection through the wheel well after removing the drivers side wheel. The fitting is a typical fine thread brake line fitting with a 12mm hex wrench fitting that is easy to round off if you are not careful. The hose end fits in a clip holder on the rail but you may need to hold it with a 19mm or 3/4in wrench. The fitting on the slave cylinder accessed on the side of the bellhousing in front of the transmission is the same 12mm fitting removed with a 12mm wrench also. If you are tall and ape-armed, you can reach it easily from the engine compartment. If not so well endowed, you will have to access it from underneath the vehicle. If you are not accustomed to these brake line fittings, they are soft and easily rounded off. You may need to use some PB blaster if the threads are corroded and have not been prepared by the leaking brake fluid or engine oil. The fine threads are easily crossthreaded which can ruin an expensive part.

I am in the SE US with several royalbrassandhose.com/ physical locations, including one conveniently in town. They replaced the rubber section of the hose in about 15 minutes at a price of $16 plus tax. Any hose shop that has the ability to make/repair brake hoses can perform the repair.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info. Finally got my car towed to my buddies shop. Now I have to wait for him to have time to host me as I get my car back and running. Miss my car, been driving the ladies Buick regal .
Old 11-29-2012, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You don't really need the clutch. Just turn off the engine at every stop and shift to first gear. Start the car in gear when traffic moves. Then you can rev match for shifting. It's not really practical for tight parking spots or stop and go traffic, but otherwise it's a lot better than driving a Buick, although some of the new european designed models are a great improvement. : )

The supply line on the brake reservoir is high enough that you always have brakes, although the low level may cause the brake light to come on.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to do that in my old Porsche from Kiawah to North Charleston. Wasn't too bad really. Got off the golf course and my clutch
was on the floot. Easiest to not quite stop completely at stop signs, and lights if possible. Much better than driving a Buick
Old 11-30-2012, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Haha yeah the new ones are nice but this ones a pos. Oh well I can survive a few more days...so I accidentally took off the slave cylinder because I just couldn't find a way to turn the wrench to take the hose line out. Is there a trick to putting it back in after I get the hose fixed? I tried putting it back in but I was getting a little resistance so I stopped and figured I'll deal with it when I repair the hose.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The slave or the master. The slave is on the tranny, did you take that out? If so, the trick is getting it back in the tranny (lube the boot well) and get the car up high enough so you can get underneath to push the slave back in.

If it's the master, there is a write up on the other forum that would be helpful (one about the slave as well).

Ed
Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can actually put the cylinder back in with the piston missing the lever arm. It needs to go in straight. The best way is to keep the piston rod compressed by making a hydraulic lock in the cylinder by plugging the hose inlet with the rod pushed in. Then it will stay compressed until you install the cylinder and remove the plug.

Last edited by scarman; 11-30-2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-2012, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scarman
You can actually put the cylinder back in with the piston missing the lever arm. It needs to go in straight. The best way is to keep the piston rod compressed by making a hydraulic lock in the cylinder by plugging the hose inlet with the rod pushed in. Then it will stay compressed until you install the cylinder and remove the plug.
Thanks for that advice. Im still trying to figure out whether im going to buy a new one or get a used one from shokan or force5. Was trying to go the repair route but i cant seem to find any hydraulich hose repair shops out here. The one i did find wasnt sure they could fix it and then told me if they did it would be expensive. Really confusing person i dealt with.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Success

Finally got a new hose and got the slave cylinder back on my car. Was a little scared after i was done because my clutch was still not functioning but then i realized it had to be bled(duh). Omg the slave cylinder was such a pain to put back in and align to get the bolt in. I always think a job is going to be simple but it never is especially with everything so tight in this car. I'm just so glad to have my car on the road again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slave cylinder tube hose line