A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Best GPS/Mount for A4?

Old 06-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best GPS/Mount for A4?

I didn't get NAV on my new Avant, but would like a GPS unit as backup...my wife had an Android phone, which has an awesome built in NAV, but my blackberry is sorely lacking (at least it shows traffic on google maps, though the display is tiny).

I don't use it very often, as 95% of my driving is around LA on surface streets. However, I would like it in case I get lost or need to find a restaurant...also, for the few times I use the free way or take roadtrips, the traffic is great.

I had a TomTom One (gift), however it doesn't have traffic...I think I used it once with my previous Audi.

I was thinking about the Garmin 1390T (only $120 from Amazon)...comments...should I upgrade? Any advice on other manufactures or mounts. I live in LA, if that makes a difference in terms of mapping/directions.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Look into Navigon. I think its the best navigation software/gps i've ever used (and it's German!). Anyway, I don't think the offer GPS devices anymore (thats what I have that I bought in 2008), but they now offer apps for iPhone and other devices. My Navigon has free traffic updates for life and has a clear, easy to use and read screen and driving directions. I'd get Navigon before anything else if I needed to get another GPS...
Old 06-27-2011, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought the Garmin 3790 LMT and I really like it. I stuck the round mounting surface that comes with it on the flat area in front of the mmi. I can still see the mmi screen from the drivers seat. Easy to remove when I park if I want to remove it.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012S4Guy
Look into Navigon. I think its the best navigation software/gps i've ever used (and it's German!). Anyway, I don't think the offer GPS devices anymore (thats what I have that I bought in 2008), but they now offer apps for iPhone and other devices. My Navigon has free traffic updates for life and has a clear, easy to use and read screen and driving directions. I'd get Navigon before anything else if I needed to get another GPS...
FWIW, Navigon was purchased by Garmin on June 16. While they announced it would be operated as a subsidiary, I wonder how long it will be before the Navigon brand will be consolidated and absorbed into the Garmin brand only.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a free app for newer blackberrys available called Blackberry Traffic. Its specifically designed to be a full screen GPS app and it works pretty well.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

if u want a nice mount check out proclipusa.com

this is how i used to have it.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...oclip+xcarlink
Old 07-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Interference with shifting to fifth?

With regard to the ProClip mount that goes to the right of the climate control, has anyone who installed this had any issues with the nav unit interfering with shifting into fifth on 6MT? I searched through the threads on this and don't see any questions, or answers, on this issue, and none of the pictures I have seen online show the proximity of the shifter in fifth to the unit installed on the bracket.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

i didnt when i had it in. did you see mine?

http://img401.imageshack.us/slidesho...d=img0482n.jpg
Old 07-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iflywoe
i didnt when i had it in. did you see mine?

http://img401.imageshack.us/slidesho...d=img0482n.jpg
Sounds good. When I was visualizing it, it didn't seem like it would, but I figured I would ask. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

If you have an iPhone 4, download Navigon software and get their car mount, it's a bit on the pricey side but sweet

http://www.bringmobi.com/iPhone-4-ca...m-NAVIGON.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best GPS/Mount for A4?