New Water Pump Leaking?

Old 06-02-2006, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Water Pump Leaking?

I own a 2001 A6 4.2 which seems to be leaking coolant around the water pump. Currently the car has 90,000mi. I had the timing belt, water pump, pulleys etc.. service done approx 8,000 mi ago (81,000mi) at a local independent Audi shop. What I have noticed is some pink staining/drip marks around the lowest pulley visible when looking down at the front of motor. When I take the top engine cover off and remove the driver's side serpentine belt cover, I can see a small amount of pink fluid just below the waterpump pulley wheel, in the casting of the waterpump housing . I brought the car back to the shop and they pressurized the cooling system and found NO leaks. The shop said that it may be related to a water pump break-in period. I have added only small amounts of coolant on 2 occasions to the expansion tank since I noticed the leak. I keep the cold coolant level right on the mark for measurement. Any thoughts on my problem? Is there such thing as water pump "break-in". I would like to keep the car another 30,000mi.

Thanks for any thoughts of comments.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thats novel, water pump break-in period, new one on me. Sounds more like....

Sounds more like the garage is trying to fob you off and hoping the problem will go away (which they rarely do, but it has been known, heat soak etc etc). But realistically, it sounds like they maybe didn't use enough of the gasket compound, or the new pump has a bearing issue. It's a big job to investigate on our A6's, so I can understand why the garage are trying to get you to simply go away....
Ideally they should always pressure test when the engine is cool and also when as hot as possible, without loosing all the coolant on the floor!
Can I ask how much you paid for this work, was it part of the 80K service?
I bought mine with this work already complete, it cost the seller 1700GBP at an independant, he was quoted 2000GBP at a stealership.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Thats novel, water pump break-in period, new one on me. Sounds more like....

Limey Dude!!, thanks for your thoughts. I know they pressure tested it cold, not sure about hot. I am suspecting the gasket compound more so than a bearing issue, because it's more like seepage than a dripping leak; if that makes sense.

As far as cost goes, I initially brought the car in with the classic 4.2L oil cooler, plastic pipe, O-ring coolant leak (pink puddle in the driveway). I figured while the car was there, I may as well have them do the 80k-90k major service. In all, it cost around $2100. However, I also had the upper tie rod ends replaced, rear brakes, k&n filter, cam adjuster seals and alignment.

In all, not too bad. I really like this car and hope to keep it at least another 30k-40k.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I just had to do my coolant pipe this weeked after a 1500 mile drive across the country.....

Was planning on doing it at the same time as my TB replacment, but I'm still waiting my turn for the special tools from Blau.
If it makes you feel any better, I have 117K miles (188K KM)an the car still runs strong!!!
Tonight I filled up and drove about 70 miles from Denver, CO up to Fort Collins and the computer said 31.5 MPG , its about 1.5 off, so I really got about 30MPG I would guess.
Dont let the INDY give you ****, make em fix it! But thats why I do all my work myself, don't want anyone else touching my baby! Then I only myself to blame too.
Best of luck.

Britt