Remove Fuel Pump without Special tool?

Old 09-30-2007, 04:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove Fuel Pump without Special tool?

I am still trying to get to the bottom of my occasional hesitation off idle, just under 2K, and at 3000K and 80 MPH, I want to take a look at the fuel pump and tank pickup screen.

The receipts that came with the car show a shop replaced the screen and pump a year ago but, I want to make sure it's not clogged with tank lining or was put in incorrectly.

Is there a way to remove the fuel pump from the tank without the Audi Special Tool??
Old 09-30-2007, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Piece of wood & a hammer.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Remove Fuel Pump without Special tool?

The pump sits in a basket (what might be described as a screen) that "clicks" into another retainer basket after a partial turn. Like most mechanical things, it's righty tighty and lefty loosey. Some folks have reported being able to twist the pump holder basket out of the retainer by hand. Some have reported that a leather glove aided in this process.

The tool is a circle of plastic with square notches in it that mate up with the irregular edge of the pump basket so that you can apply rotary force to release it. Someone described using a squared wooden stick placed across a couple of the basket notches to allow disengagement.

I doubt you'll find much. There should be no lining in the tank. If it were something that gets sucked into the screen, reducing fuel flow, it wouldn't effect performance intermittently, it'd be there all the time once sucked into the screen. I'm pretty sure that once the pump starts to run, it puts out the same pressure regardless of the fuel demand from the engiine. It only has one speed.

I think most hesitation type problems result from electrical issues.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:12 AM

That's kind of a hack way of doing it. A tool can be made easily enough.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sears sells those rubber strap wrenches.I used one on my S/C'd Jeep Grand

Cherokee 4.7L fuel tank to get the pump out and install a high flow. They work very well for that since it's a strap and will fit a large diameter variable shaped object requiring twist. They also have a large diameter rounded channel locks. Both too cheap not to have around as "HTF" am I gonna get this off tools. ;=)
Old 09-30-2007, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is it?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the Tips.

I did my plugs (W7DC+), and wires (Beru)this weekend. No changes. Cap and Rotor are new but, Chinese made :-( have to order a Bosch one.

I have Thermostat, Multi-function Temperature Sensor, Idle temp sensor and ECU temp Sensor or order from Autohaus Arizona.

I guess I'll get those in before I pull the pump.

When it happens it feels almost like fuel starvation. Then it clears up. I thought maybe something was floating into the screen and then away but, suction would keep it there I guess. I also want to check and clean the check valve, see if it has anything to do with my cranking for 10-15 seconds at cold start but, I guess it could be the cold start injector. I'll have to test it.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cold start issue also could be leaky injectors.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always just used a hammer and a punch to turn the retaining ring. Be patient and don't try and do it with one swing. Try and spread the impact points around the ring evenly as well. To remove the pump it is held down at 3 points by 3 fingers that grab the triangular pump holder. Push the fingers out at the same time and pull up on the pump.

When you remove the fuel lines be sure to hold the connectors at the top of the tank flange plate. If you don't it is too easy to twist the metal out of the plastic. It is easy enough. HTH.