Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Finished road testing the BMW 535xi and the Audi A6 and made my purchase

Old 05-03-2012, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished road testing the BMW 535xi and the Audi A6 and made my purchase

The Audi A6 is my choice. After owning BMW's for the last 25 years this was a very tough call.
I just didn't feel the new BMW handled the way my '05 545i sport did. The '05 had active steering and a V8 engine and sport suspension so maybe I am asking to much from the 535xi. The '05 feels like it is planted flat-out on the road, has terrific steering feel, instant power with no lag when you step on the gas and gave you complete confidence in the car. I just did not get those same feelings in the new Bimmer. The 535xi has definite turbo lag, also had the stop & go feature that I just hated. In my opinion you just have to turn it off everytime you take the car out. Between that feature and the turbo lag it was a real let down.Steering was also looser than a Bimmer should be. Than being forced to have to once again contend with run-flat tires was the other strong reason to switch brands this time. The '05 has close to 200,000 miles on it so it was time to sadly bid it a fond farewell.

I than took my 4th test drive in the Audi A6 (4 different A6's)
The A6 is a delight. No lag what-so-ever, terrific power, especially in Dynamic drive, very nice handling but the steering is also to lose for my liking, but again in Dynamic drive it did firm up some. The A6 I ended up buying is a non-sport and maybe that is why I don't feel planted to the road at higher speeds, but I was tired of the extra firm ride in my old 545i sport so I wanted a softer ride. Time will tell if I made a mistake on that call. Have to get used to it I guess.
The A6 is a real knock-out in looks. I found,(what a lucky find) what I consider the perfect color combination for the Prestige with the innovation package in stock at a terrific dealer (after having a horrible experience with a dealer a couple of days earlier that almost turned me off getting an Audi at all)Everyone that sees it flips over it's very agressive looks. I ended up getting a fully loaded Prestige with brilliant black exterior ( I think the deep black looks best) and the velvet beige interior with the layered oak wood dash that really makes the car unique. The LED full headlights (with the 2 sensor/cameras that look like foglights in the lower part of the bumper), the Prestige package S line and the Prestige front and rear sporty looking bumpers, gives it that very aggressive look that makes this car a real stand-out.
Very happy with the car after these few days of driving it, but I have so much to learn with all the options and tech. gadgets that it contains. One dissapointment is that it no longer offers a CD changer (best sound source for the Bose) but at least it does still have one slot and of course all the digital choices that do not give it as clear, full and deep a sound in my opinion, but so it be. One is better than none.
I feel I made the right choice in the A6 Prestige. Happy so far.
Now if this Audi is as durable as my old BMW's were that I got 110,000 miles (1985) --- 186,000 miles (1992)--- 313,000 miles (1997)and 191,000 on my 2005, I will be more than satified.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your purchase! i have found that you have to shop audi dealers. When we first looked into the q5 in 2009 we just about went to BMW because of the attitudes of some of these dealers. A new audi dealership opened up and man what an experience we were the first purchase and man did they treat us like royalty. The GM still calls us up from time to time thanking us for the business and and how we are liking the cars.

Sounds like you got a killer combination! you made the right choice of course we could be a bit biased over here.

Now take care of that Brilliant Black! (please dont go through the car washes)

and most of all enjoy it, 7 months old and it still puts a smile on my face every time i drive it
Old 05-04-2012, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations!!! that is what I decided too, however I still kept my 2009 535i after lease was up. A6 is truly wonderful car, best overall value in its class. Enjoy!!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats! I debated that same two vehicles, and it was an obvious choice. of course with a long history of Audi's, I didn't have to deal with brand jumping.

Yes, take care of the black. Beautiful when well maintained, but can get away from you if neglected. A yearly high quality detail is a must.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

auditron, congrats. I agree with you on the 5 series' lag, its pretty noticable. The salesman told me that BMW had a software fix for the lag and he pull up another 535xi with the software fix for me to test drive. It was a bit better, but the lag is still there. Runflat is another reason holding me back on the 5 series, I had them before and my wife has it on her 3 series, they are more trouble than they are worth. The few things I like about the 5 series is the smoother ride, more solid feel and the quieter cabin. Also, the BMW upgraded seats are fantastic, are you listening Audi?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congratulations on your new car. My next door neighbor has a BMW 535i. What an ugly color he has. It looks like it has a tint of green and gold in it. I personally do not like that color. I have ice silver metallic. It is easier to maintain for me as I am getting older, but my favorite color is black. What a shine the black exterior takes. Best of luck to you and your new black A6. It is a beautiful car.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for advice 3 Pedal Mini,
I know swirls show-up on black, so if not a car wash that leaves only my hand washing it, which is a drag, or how about a brushless car was with the flapping straps. What think??
Old 05-04-2012, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes G Man the BMW has a grab the road, heavier feel. The A6 feels lighter and nimble. I would say the 535xi is now more of a highway or road car while the A6 is good all around but not as planted a feel after a time on the long highway commute I have.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good move stoulana in also keeping the Bimmer as well.Mine had too many miles at 191,000 and was starting to cost me money. I agree, you have the best of two worlds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finished road testing the BMW 535xi and the Audi A6 and made my purchase