urq inner fender repair 'adventure'.. (lots 'o' pics)

Old 04-25-2006, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default urq inner fender repair 'adventure'.. (lots 'o' pics)

I've been putting off the repair of my inner fender for a while, as it seems like it would be quite a daunting task. Was I ever right! But I figured that I had to do it sometime, and the approaching drive to Carlisle was a good motivator.

First, removed the fender to scope out the damage:

Yikes!

And even MORE Yikes! I've been driving around on that for a while..

First was to grind out and remove all the rusty crusty stuff..

Not only was the top of the inner strut all crusty, but the seam all along the door pillar had started crusting with a few holes along the way. One hole just behind the glovebox would explain signs of water on the ECU!

So now that I knew what the damage was, I could cut a donor part from the previously cut up donor 4kq, and cleaned up..

Next step was to test fit the donor part on the car. Much fitting and trimming to get it to fit right:

More 'crusty' down the front of the strut tower..

Then, onto the "FUN" stuff.. Welding! Now I've spent maybe a total of 15 minutes MIG welding ever, all on the flat. I tried a bit of vertical welding, and found it to be a lot harder. So yes, lots of 'splatter welding'. I have to admit that my technique got better as I went along, bit I'd recommend that you practice before doing a job like this.. In other words, it's not pretty, but it won't come apart now either!

Not especially pretty, but should be structurally sound. I'd also like to thank Jeff who came by, and helped out welding in in the donor piece, as his welding skills were much better than mine!

It didn't turn out as bad as I though it would, once I primered and tarred/painted the finished work:

Not seen here, but I also fitted a set of 4K plastic inner fenders, so this work will be further protected..

So.. All in all, a most 'excellent' adventure that I won't be wanting to do again for a while! But at least it's done now. It took me about 3 days to do all this work, in a 'not rushed' mode. Experience would make that time go way down. I'm thinking I could do the other side in a good weekend of work.

And of course, I'd like to give many,many thanks Martin for the use of his shop and endless advice. Also thanks to Jeff for coming by and helping weld, and Craig for the ideas of how to approach the job. Without Craigs ideas, and Martin's motivation, I'd never have had the ***** to even try to do this job..!

Last edited by Katman; 02-12-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Looks awesome Frank

I'm assuming there wasn't a MIG welder at the shop? Cause TIG is overkill for body work.

Been doing lots of welding on my 90q tsd rally conversion... it was destined to be a parts car, until I wrote off the black one... so we've been spending a lot of time repairing nasty rust issues with it. The MIG welder that dad got me for christmas has been getting a good workout on that car.

If you ever need something welded (including stainless exhaust stuff... check my pic poster... recently built a full SS exhaust for the red 90q), and you feel like taking a trip out the Peterborough way (Norwood to be exact), let me know. The hoist will be up sometime this summer... hopefully.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default now you are a Pro........you want another one?! ........:o)

Looks great, i have to make a decision with "rusty". Restore or Sale, or Parts
Old 04-25-2006, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nicely done Frank! Now that you are an expert welder.....

perhaps there is a shorty-Q in your future! LOL.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't want another one!

Arpy: I'll be thinking your 'rusty' may have a similar problem. Maybe? Rust patches on the fenders, right beside the strut tops? :-)

And no, I don't want to do that job EVER AGAIN!

It's a big pain in the ***. Although, I'm suspecting the other side may have similar problems, leading to yet more fun.

FYI: Did you know you can get 'sunburn' from exposure to the welding arc? I didn't know that either...!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Looking good...

THis is what kept potential buyers away form my old '83.. even though it wan't this bad. Now.. when are you doing the floor??
Old 04-25-2006, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yup.... nice upper-arm tans from welding with a t-shirt and gloves...
Old 04-25-2006, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i know that, and you become blinde if you dont use protection.....

learned that on hard way ) Yes "rusty" has the exact same problem as yours, + the driver rear quarter
Old 04-25-2006, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Looking good...

Unlike your prospective buyers, maybe my problem was that I bought the urq *then* looked at the rust? :-)

I can't complain though, for what I paid for it..

Floors.. They are not so stuctural! But having a 'donor' urq would help. Martin?

I should really look at the other strut tower though, before dealing with the floors. That, and maybe EFI too.. That would be way more fun than fixing the floors..!
Old 04-25-2006, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It's probably good to catch this type of thing early. I'm hoping mine isn't this bad.

I'm also hoping that the strut tower's strength isn't really compromised that much - by the rust that intrudes from the fender area.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: urq inner fender repair 'adventure'.. (lots 'o' pics)