Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Need Tires - Thoughts?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Tires - Thoughts?

Hi All - It's time for new tires... I have a 2012 Q7 TDI Prem+ w/20in wheels ... Have original Pirelli Assemetrico's... Just turned 31k miles... Shocked I got this many miles out of these... Based on what I have read!

I would consider another set of this same tire... But would prefer a mileage warranty as well as a bit quieter ride. I have always had great success with Michelin's... But never owned a car with 20in wheels. Not much of a GoodYear fan either.

Here on the board, I see a mix of the Pirelli & Continental's.

Also have read on good reviews on TireRack for the Firestone Destination SE's.

Thoughts/comments/advice?

Thanks,
-Ryan
Old 09-05-2013, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yokohama Parada Spec-X
Old 09-05-2013, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you need all weather, nokian wr3. if just for summer use, toyo.

have used and loved them both.

peter
Old 09-05-2013, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptainRyan
Hi All - It's time for new tires... I have a 2012 Q7 TDI Prem+ w/20in wheels ... Have original Pirelli Assemetrico's... Just turned 31k miles... Shocked I got this many miles out of these... Based on what I have read!

I would consider another set of this same tire... But would prefer a mileage warranty as well as a bit quieter ride. I have always had great success with Michelin's... But never owned a car with 20in wheels. Not much of a GoodYear fan either.

Here on the board, I see a mix of the Pirelli & Continental's.

Also have read on good reviews on TireRack for the Firestone Destination SE's.

Thoughts/comments/advice?

Thanks,
-Ryan
I went through the same thing recently. After spending lots of time analyzing all the options, I went the easy route and bought the same tires mine came with (same as yours) last week. I also got almost 30k miles on them. I'm good for another 30k miles
Old 09-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am just about to hit 35K with the original Goodyear's on my '09.

With rain and cold weather around the corner, the Yokohama's have been ordered.....should be any day now that they get here.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have been very happy with the Firestone Destination ST on our S-Line with the 20" 5 spoke wheels. I strongly considered the Yokos but felt uncomfortable with the lack of rim protection in stock size.

I think we paid about $700 for the set shipped from Tirerack and the tires have handled extremely well wet and dry, with very low road noise even after 17K miles, and enough tread remaining that I'm guessing these will likely go 30K and maybe a bit more.

Will definitely be buying another set when these wear out.

Jimbo

Last edited by Sherblatz; 09-06-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks all for the info!

Jimbo - Great news. Your feedback matches what I read from other Q7 owners on Tirerack.

I am scheduled to have the Destinations installed tomorrow. I hope I am just as happy... Have not had Firestone tires before... Fingers crossed!

Will let you know.
Thanks.
-Ryan
Old 09-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just had the Yokohama's put on today. Wow, what a quiet ride.

There doesn't appear to be any lack of rim protection on the 275/45/R20's...getting the right size tires and having them properly installed is key.

I am interested to see how long they last though...
Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I to just had the Yokohama Parada Spex-X installed and what a improvement in the ride. Quit,smooth and absorbs the bumps. Doesn't feel rock hard like the Pirelli's. And the Yoko's are a V rated tire too. Has the same rim protection like the Pirelli's and took very little weights. Had 8/32 left on my Pirelli's and Audi could not road force 2 of the tires. Had vibrations in the steering wheel when turning slightly. Almost like a flat spot on the tire. Audi says I need 2 new tires. Took it to Discount Tire and they are pro rating the Pirelli's. Got the Yoko's for $168 each. Plus $75 mail in rebate. Very happy.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Depends on which 20" wheels you have. If you have the same as mine, I would not recommend the Yokohama Parada Spec-X as there is ZERO rim protection. The rim juts out beyond the tire. If you have rims like the person posting above me, the Parada Spec-X are great tires.

Here are the rims you DON'T want to put Parada Spec-X on:

(Note these are OEM tires on this view, not the Parada Spec-X)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Tires - Thoughts?