Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Help with B&O noise canceling - added a new sub and I get noise!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with B&O noise canceling - added a new sub and I get noise!

I just added a new sub and when everything is quiet I get a loud sound coming from the speakers. Is there any way of getting rid of that? My stereo shop tapped the sub speaker wires to get the sub signal.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S6Express
I just added a new sub and when everything is quiet I get a loud sound coming from the speakers. Is there any way of getting rid of that? My stereo shop tapped the sub speaker wires to get the sub signal.
I can't imagine that the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) of the S6 is going to work well with any substantive stereo changes - B&O or Bose.

E.g. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2836432

I guess if you want to use the "turn the stereo louder" technique of cancelling out the V4 sound, maybe try disabling ANC and see if it helps?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can ANC be disabled? If so how?

It's worth a try.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Its been done with the Bose system with no problems. Do you know the parts they added?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...woofer+upgrade
Old 01-21-2014, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Its been done with the Bose system with no problems. Do you know the parts they added?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...woofer+upgrade
Thanks Gator. I had seen that post prior to my install.

I have the annoying buzz especially at low volume with the amp turned up. Luckily I installed a PAC LC-1 level controller under the steering wheel so I can completely turn it off.

On a different thread by HyperS4 he wrote:
"Based on input signals, the ANC control module calculates phase, frequency, and amplitude needed for each of the four door woofers and subwoofer. The five calculated ANC woofer signals are combined in the amplifier with the woofer signals of the sound system and output to the speakers. Noises are picked up by the four microphones and sent to the ANC control unit over discrete lines."

What if I tap another signal? Are there any other low frequency signals aside from the doors and sub?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Gator. I had seen that post prior to my install.

I have the annoying buzz especially at low volume with the amp turned up. Luckily I installed a PAC LC-1 level controller under the steering wheel so I can completely turn it off.

On a different thread by HyperS4 he wrote:
"Based on input signals, the ANC control module calculates phase, frequency, and amplitude needed for each of the four door woofers and subwoofer. The five calculated ANC woofer signals are combined in the amplifier with the woofer signals of the sound system and output to the speakers. Noises are picked up by the four microphones and sent to the ANC control unit over discrete lines."

What if I tap another signal? Are there any other low frequency signals aside from the doors and sub?
Does only the B&O have the ANC? My understanding both Bose and B&O had it. So since there have been Bose upgrades with no problems, the issue probably lines where exactly your shop tapped your line, or the amp they used.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Can ANC be disabled? If so how?

It's worth a try.
I don't have a service manual but I've seen mention of the ANC module being at address 47, so you should be able to talk to it via VCDS... I'd screen capture everything in sight before messing with it, but often times putting in a nonsense coding like 00000 will cause a fault code to be thrown and likely shut it down. Ideally ask your local friendly tech to look it up for you and see - if VCDS doesn't already have that info.

As others have pointed out, I may be off in the weeds since S6 Bose folks have done this - *BUT* I believe ANC is a lot more complex when B&O is selected. Maybe you can figure out how to code your ANC for Bose and see if that helps? (Get someone with a Bose S6 to read their coding and dump their measuring blocks and we can probably find out.)

Once again, my kingdom for a service manual
Old 01-21-2014, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I seem to recall seeing a fuse for ANC the last time I was poking around in there.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RobC
I seem to recall seeing a fuse for ANC the last time I was poking around in there.
That would be an easy test if there is!
Old 01-21-2014, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC
That would be awesome. I'll see if that works.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with B&O noise canceling - added a new sub and I get noise!