S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Would you put premium forged wheels on a daily driver?

Old 12-23-2013, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would you put premium forged wheels on a daily driver?

So I am using the stock wheels on my S6 with winter tires. For summer, I am looking at the VMR 708, which is essentially an RS4 wheel replica. They look decent and for $300 each are a tremendous value. On the other hand, being the enthusiast that I am, I am also considering the HRE P43SC. This is an absolutely gorgeous wheel but the cost would be $1800 each. My S6 is a daily driver and although I am always careful, there is certainly a higher risk of wheel damage. Cost is not an issue, but value is. So that leaves me with two questions:

1. Is the HRE worth 6 times the cost of the VMR?

2. Would you put HRE wheels on your daily driver?

Opinions wanted. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in your same exact position. I was (still am) in love with the HRE P47 for the S6 and was having a hard time coming to grips with the $7700 cost. Also like you, money was not the main issue. Value and conscience were. I chose the VMRs knowing that if I changed my mind I could always sell them with little cost of ownership. At $1350 shipped the difference is huge over the HREs. The forged wheels would have been a lot lighter and fancier looking, but not worth 5-6 times as much. I used to have HRE P40s on my former E60 M5 and they were spectacular, but a lot cheaper back then. I'll post some pics of my wheels next week.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If cost is not an issue then HRE's win 100% of the time. Cost is ALWAYS an issue.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by S6Express
I was in your same exact position. I was (still am) in love with the HRE P47 for the S6 and was having a hard time coming to grips with the $7700 cost. Also like you, money was not the main issue. Value and conscience were. I chose the VMRs knowing that if I changed my mind I could always sell them with little cost of ownership. At $1350 shipped the difference is huge over the HREs. The forged wheels would have been a lot lighter and fancier looking, but not worth 5-6 times as much. I used to have HRE P40s on my former E60 M5 and they were spectacular, but a lot cheaper back then. I'll post some pics of my wheels next week.
I had P40s on my B7 RS4. They were just about half the price.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
If cost is not an issue then HRE's win 100% of the time. Cost is ALWAYS an issue.
There is cost in the absolute sense, which is not an issue for me. Cost in a relative sense is always a consideration for me. Just like the fact that that an S7 offers nothing, IMO, to make it worth $9k more than an S6.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not questioning whether you can afford $7000 wheels, only your statement that cost is not an issue, because if you were were worth $1 billion dollars, you wouldn't be looking at VMR wheels. Cost IS an issue. That being said, I don't get the best opinion of VMR finish and quality from all the feedback available online. Have you considered other brands like Niche or Hartman. I am very impressed by their quality firsthand. The Ace Alloy rims on our S6 are also very nice for what they cost.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Dr Chill; 12-25-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I would do some due diligence on whether those wheels are suitable for your driving locale and for a 4200+ pound car. As can be seen to the left, I went with an affordable and fairly sturdy compromise for summer wheels, given that I live in Central New York...the stockers are now shod with LM-60s for the winter. The wheel finish seems to assume a very slight blue cast on Estoril Blue, which I also like, along with reduced observable break dust.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Go with the HREs. It's an $80K car and deserves them. The satisfaction with high quality remains long after the price is forgotten.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Vijay
#1 probably not, but so what? Is an S6 "worth" >2x the cost of a Legacy Turbo?
#2 if I were you, hell yes. If you like them that much, then put them on and enjoy them every day. If the S6 is a daily driver, why not wheels for it?

Related to #2 - I was considering starting a thread on wheel/tire warranties. My dealer claims the one they sell doesn't care what wheels or tires are on the car.... if it's like the Audi one though, there's a total reimbursement cap. Have you considered something like that to offset the wheel damage issues?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
So I am using the stock wheels on my S6 with winter tires. For summer, I am looking at the VMR 708, which is essentially an RS4 wheel replica. They look decent and for $300 each are a tremendous value. On the other hand, being the enthusiast that I am, I am also considering the HRE P43SC. This is an absolutely gorgeous wheel but the cost would be $1800 each. My S6 is a daily driver and although I am always careful, there is certainly a higher risk of wheel damage. Cost is not an issue, but value is. So that leaves me with two questions:

Opinions wanted. Thanks.
ALSO--

HRE pays HUGE bucks in order to be certified by the major quality and safety agencies-- this costs a fortune and takes a long time-- the other mfrs do not. This translates into legitimate safe wheels with quality.
They do have other models that are less costly.

If you can afford it at least one of your tire-sets should be HRE OR comparable

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you put premium forged wheels on a daily driver?