S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Drive Select: feature or software bug?

Old 01-03-2014, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Drive Select: feature or software bug?

I set my Individual choices to include "DYNAMIC" for the engine transmission option, yet whenever I get in the car and start it up, the drive mode always shows up as D, not S as I would expect.

I can double pull the shift lever to toggle to S mode, or, I can press the Drive Select button repeatedly until I pass Dynamic and stop on Individual, at which point the transmission switches to S.

The dealer sales rep, who is very well educated on the car, was disappointed to learn of this "feature" when I spoke to him. He had told me that unlike my 2009 A$, the 2014 S4 would remember the mode that was active when the car was turned off (the 2009 A4 always returned to Auto mode, which was Audis attempt to assure the window sticer mileage claim was achieved -- since S mode means up-shifts happen at higher RPM's. Some Audi lawyer must have figured out that there was no need to always return to Auto mode at startup.

The 2014 is, according to the dealer, supposed to remember the preferences at the time of the end of the last drive -- which in my case is usually S mode for the transmission.

Anyone able to explain if it really is necessary to set the drive select every time the car is started?

It is easy enough to force the issue, but, it does seem that this feature should be explained as it currently exists, including if it means it is required to set drive select every time.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is normal. In 2014's the ADS mode will remain in the setting it was when the car was shut down. It won't however remain in sport mode which is only indirectly tied to an ADS setting. It should just be one pull on the lever (not two) to get it from any ADS setting into sport which is pretty much what I always do. I'm not sure why they chose to have it function like this.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If the car is already in dynamic mode, what is the incremental difference by putting it in S?
Old 01-04-2014, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

It's all part of today's energy initiatives. Since Dynamic/Sport mode will use more fuel, Audi wants to ensure the driver is aware they are using it at start up. Just another nanny type feature provided for the masses.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bittrl1000
If the car is already in dynamic mode, what is the incremental difference by putting it in S?
None for engine throttle and transmission gear mapping. They are one and the same:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...27&postcount=9
Old 01-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any differences for things other than engine or transmission?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sport mode keeps the transmission in a lower gear and hence higher on the power/ torque curve while dynamic primarily adjusts the throttle response. Putting the ADS in dynamic will also change the transmission to sport unless already in dynamic at start up. The transmission can be changed to sport mode in any (comfort/auto/dynamic) ADS setting. While a personal choice I prefer to keep it in sport mode unless cruising on the highway. I particularly like the higher rpm auto downshifts it provides even when coming to a complete stop as this more closely mimics how I shifted manually. While still learning, so far I'm loving my first DSG.

Last edited by snagitseven; 01-04-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bittrl1000
Any differences for things other than engine or transmission?
No. As described in the link I provided, moving the shift lever to D or S only affects those two computer maps and overrides the ADS setting if different. Other ADS settings remain unchanged.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sworksone
Sport mode keeps the transmission in a lower gear and hence higher on the power/ torque curve while dynamic primarily adjusts the throttle response. Putting the ADS in dynamic will also change the transmission to sport unless already in dynamic at start up. The transmission can be changed to sport mode in any (comfort/auto/dynamic) ADS setting.
Actually, D and S (Sport) shift lever modes affect both the throttle and gear maps, same as selecting Comfort/Auto or Dynamic in the ADS. The two software parameter maps are tied together.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Actually, D and S (Sport) shift lever modes affect both the throttle and gear maps, same as selecting Comfort/Auto or Dynamic in the ADS. The two software parameter maps are tied together.
OK, I'll have to test this next time . So if I understand what you're saying correctly, switching to sport is the same as adjusting the engine/transmission to dynamic even if in comfort/auto for the ADS?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drive Select: feature or software bug?